Author Topic: Bullroarers?  (Read 4443 times)

Offline Pretzelcoatl

Bullroarers?
« on: April 11, 2012, 01:52:24 am »
Hello everybody, i just had a bow break on me. it broke on the bottom limb so i cut off from the broken part to the handle and made an atlatl with the top limb. I'm looking to do something with the bottom limb and i was thinking of making a bullroarer. You guys have been very helpful and i thought i would ask. Thanks in advance! :D

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Bullroarers?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 10:36:19 am »
What is a bullroarer?  ???
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 11:15:22 am »
It's a aboriginal musical instrument that is swung over the head to make a deep throated roar of varying pitch depending on the speed at which it is swung.

Offline YosemiteBen

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 02:05:58 pm »
A Bull roarer is an indigenous cell phone!  They have been used by primitive people around the world for communication.  They have been mades in various shapes and sizes. One was used by paul Hogan (crocodile dundee) in his movie.  Typically made of wood or bone. fairly thin usually not more than a quarter inch or so. 12 to 18 inches in length. rectangular rounded on the ends and beveled all the way around.   drill a hole in one end and tie on a leather or heavy cotton or dogbane cord. I will take pics of the one in the musuem and try to post later. I have been having trouble posting so might have to wait till I get home.  Have fun with theat and don't hit yourself in the head! :laugh:

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2012, 05:30:43 pm »
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2012, 06:08:02 pm »
OH!  one of those things.  8)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pretzelcoatl

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2012, 08:24:57 pm »
Thanks Gus my new bullroarer is coming out nicely. Now to freak out the neighborhood with this thing! >:D

Offline swamp monkey

« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2012, 11:18:58 pm »
It may not be primitive but a braided nylon string is best to use for the bull roarer.  The board is not only rotating as you swing it but it is spinning on the string's axis.  When the string gets tight going one direction the roarer switches directions of spin until it gets tight going that way.  It wraps back and forth as long as you keep rotating it.  the pitch changes each time it switches. 

You can make them out of most any hardwood but denser is better.  Oak, osage, hickory, etc.  avoid soft woods like pine, cottonwood, etc.

Have fun and paint it up real nice!

Offline beetlebailey1977

• Bowhunters of South Carolina
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2012, 11:42:26 pm »
Well now I am going to have to make one......I remember it from crocodile dundee.  Thought it was neat.
Happy hunting to all!
Bowhunters of South Carolina Executive council member
Professional Bowhunters Society Associate member

Reevesville, SC     James V. Bailey II

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2012, 07:22:02 am »
Here is one of a couple Will made this passed weekend out of walnut,very cool sound. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline jermcramp1

« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2012, 01:40:32 pm »
O man I used to make those as a kid! Haven't thought about them in years, they were some kind of fun!
Even the dogs get the crumbs...

Offline swamp monkey

« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2012, 09:53:07 pm »
Here is one of a couple Will made this passed weekend out of walnut,very cool sound. :)
   Pappy

WHOAH!  that thing is huge!  :o  Like a paddle without its handle.  Does it sound different than a smaller model?

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2012, 07:37:13 am »
Don't guess I have heard the smaller one,it has a pretty deep roar.Sounds awesome.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good