Author Topic: Season Juniper?  (Read 1761 times)

Offline Arrowind

Season Juniper?
« on: April 21, 2012, 05:40:54 pm »
All my bows so far have been board bows.  I live in Arizona and our native bow wood opptions are limited but we do have some good Juniper.  I've been wanting to try it for a while now and yesterday I finally went out and got some...this will be my first attempt at a bow made from a stave.

What is the best way to season it?  Should I paint the ends and let it sit until next year?   Do I debark it?  Do I reduce it down to almost bow dimensions strap it to a board and let it sit?....It is very dry and hot here so I wonder how long it will need to season....

What would you suggest?

Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline Mesquite

Re: Season Juniper?
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2012, 05:49:15 pm »
Try to season it inside or in the garage if you can, my mesquite checks really bad outside. In NM and it's also hot and dry, hitting the day 90's already.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2012, 05:54:09 pm »
For seasoning I prefer Montreal Steak Seasoning with a little extra cracked black pepper. 

If you can saw* it down the middle, leave the bark on, and paint/shellac/wood glue the ends it should cure up nicely.  Just be sure to store it where temps do not get too high.  Rapid moisture loss even with the bark intact will split stave in the exact worst possible places!

*I am recommending sawing because it seems to me most cedar has plenty of knots and splitting may be a rough proposition.  Your mileage may vary, offer void in all 50 states and all Canadian Provinces.  Tax, title, and license extra.  Consult with your doctor before taking and immediately stop taking if you see changes in bowel movements or vision. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline dmikeyj

« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2012, 05:56:41 pm »
Do yourself a favor and remove the bark/seal the back, bugs like the sapwood...

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2012, 06:19:38 pm »
Mesquite: thanks. I can put it in the garage for sure.  I may even be able to find a place in the house.  Thanks for the info.  I was wondering about that too.  ....it's supposed to hit 100 today.

JW_Halverson: Yeah I really like Montreal Steak Seasoning too!   Saw it?  I'm glad to hear you say that becuase I'm much more comfortable with a saw than an axe...

How high is too high?  We can get extended periods of time at 110 during the summer here.

dmikeyj - thanks.  dreaded bugs!
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2012, 06:44:13 pm »
How high is too high?  We can get extended periods of time at 110 during the summer here.

It's not just temp, but relative humidity, too.  Of course you are probably thumbing through a dictionary trying to find out what that humi-whatsis might be!  Maybe bring the stave in where it is air conditioned to slow the curing down a bit.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.