Author Topic: Mistakes Ridge  (Read 4829 times)

Offline jonathan creason

Re: Mistakes Ridge
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2012, 11:53:24 am »
Hot dang!  ;)
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2012, 12:57:02 pm »
  SWEETTTTTTTTTTTTTT
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2012, 01:21:30 pm »
Way to go Jdub!!  Great bird and story. dp
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2012, 01:47:53 pm »
Awesome story and very fortuitous set of events! Congrats on the turkey, glad you persevered despite your setbacks.
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2012, 04:12:24 pm »
So what is so odd about this story ?  Sounds like normal turkey hunting to me. Congratulations !  '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline bluegill68

« Reply #20 on: April 20, 2012, 04:26:44 pm »
JW,

You are making it hard for me not to return to SD this spring. Nothing prettier than a Merriams.

Sean

Offline Josh B

« Reply #21 on: April 20, 2012, 06:43:43 pm »
I am envious JW!  Beautiful bird.   Josh

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #22 on: April 20, 2012, 11:29:17 pm »
Thanks everyone.  It's pretty much normal for me on that ridge.  I took a Regional Director for the National Wild Turkey Federation up there once and he was surprised to count 130 birds on the roost site.  What can I say, the half million dollar trophy houses up there feed them well!!!  He later shot a nice little mule deer up there with a flintlock muzzleloader and had no knife!  He had to field dress it with the sharp rock from the lock mechanism!  I ain't the only screw-up on that ridge!

Mullet:  When you really get hungry for that Merriam's I'll take care of you.  Just not on Mistakes Ridge!  That's MY honey hole!

CherokeeKC:  Reading my tale while on the crapper?!?!  Dude!    :o  Not sure if I am offended or honored.   :-\

Bevan:  When I get the gobbler population thinned down a bit more I will start chatting up the hens.  Ever see the breasts on them?  Yum!  And nice legs, too.  Heck, my first turkey was a hen with a 5" beard!  Booyeah!   >:D
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #23 on: April 20, 2012, 11:48:32 pm »
That is one beautiful bird JW.  I love the white tips on the feathers.  Ours don't look like that around here.  Congratulations
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline PeteC

« Reply #24 on: April 20, 2012, 11:54:03 pm »
Great story JW.Beautiful bird and call. God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #25 on: April 21, 2012, 12:27:45 am »
I cleaned the muscle and fat from the tail base and packed it with borax.  It's now pinned on a sheet of cardboard to dry.  I will be sawing out the spurs and stringing them on the cane yelper call later. 

As for the wing feathers....I think I am going to save those for the arrows I make for that wonderful ERC longbow that youngbowyer made for me! 

Legs, thighs, wings, and the back all went into the pressure cooker today for 45 min at 10# pressure.  The meat will be pulled off the bones and divied up with the stock to freeze.  Later on I will make soup from it by adding a diced tater and a small bag of mixed frozen veggies.  Ten minute homemade soup meal!  The breast is in the fridge in a light brine of 1/2 cup each of sugar and salt in a gallon of water.  The breast will plump nicely with this brine.  I will be boning it out tomorrow morning and freezing each half.  Slice across the grain in 1/2 inch steaks or cubing up for stir fry works just fine as well as skewering and grilling with teriyaki.  The heart went to the redtail hawk, the head and neck to the great horned owl.  Since it was steel shot there was no chance of giving either bird lead poisoning. 

Offline bubby

« Reply #26 on: April 21, 2012, 07:18:24 am »
we need to get JW to write some articles for PA, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #27 on: April 21, 2012, 04:34:02 pm »
If I can get someone to doctor the photos and add a stickbow and a stone pointed bloody arrow I will get to work writing it today!   >:D

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #28 on: April 21, 2012, 06:01:36 pm »
I had one of your oh crap mornings. This is our last weekend and we are hunting a place that requires a 10.6 mile boat trip. There is very little room for mor than 3 hunters and we figured nobody would be there but us because of the thunderstorm, hail, and tornado warnings. We couldn't believe it when a boat went flying past us when we only had about 5 minutes more of travel.

It turned out he went where we were going but was going way north of us.

Well now my aww you know what moment. I had a bird come in on me real fast and only had a second to see the red head. he had been gobblin' a long way off and working his way through a swamp. Actually there were two birds. Well, I slamed the bird with my 3 1/2 Mag @ twenty yards. And then he gets up :o, I hit him again while he is running sideways. Then he flys in a big circle and crashes about thirty yards from me.

I started to get up and get him when the head pops up ??? He jumps up and takes off running across a field towards my buddies. I shoot again and knock him down and then miss twice while he's zig-zaging. I took off after him and my buddies are laughing their you know what off. Finally he stopped and I wacked the crap out of him swinging my 835 like a baseball bat. It turns out that when I grabbed him there was a BIG Tom 10 yards in front of me going, what the %^&#. My buddies are wondering why I'm hitting the Jake with my gun and not the big Gobbler.

I never saw the big one :'( I'm taking extra shells in the morning. :)
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #29 on: April 21, 2012, 06:06:52 pm »
Well, DUH!  You shot the jake because the big dominant gobbler had better genes!  It was a conservation based sportsman's decision.  Sheesh!    ;D

If your buddies had any ethics or sense of fair play they would have understood!