Author Topic: Special Thanks  (Read 3049 times)

Offline iowabow

Special Thanks
« on: April 19, 2012, 04:51:25 pm »
OK time to be a big Sap but I wanted to start a threat to thank those who help out so much on this site for helping others learn to flint knapping. So here are the rules......
     1. Just thank ONE person that has helped you out when you started on PA knapping site. I know it is hard not to
          name each and every one of your mentors but this will give others a chance to ring in.
      2. Second you cant repeat a name that has already been stated!
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 04:55:13 pm by iowabow »
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline iowabow

Re: Special Thanks
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2012, 05:00:18 pm »
Guess I will start first, There was this guy named Arappaho that sent me a link to a geology website that gave me all kinds of great information on rock formations in my area. He was one of the first guys to help me get started.
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2012, 05:19:58 pm »
John Bybee sent me my first box of rocks.  Thanks Buddy!!  ;) dpgratz
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline Sparrow

• Who shot cock robin ? I said the sparrow.
    • Dream Fish Charters
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2012, 05:59:11 pm »
Cowboy sent me a blade that I learned a bunch from just getting to hold and emulate. I have to say, Tower showed me near perfection is attainable. Thanks you fellas (There are others,I don't want to over do it.)  '  Frank
Frank (The Sparrow) Pataha, Washington

Offline bubby

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2012, 06:34:58 pm »
I can't single anyone out as i've got great feedback from a bunch of you guy's, plus a ton of insperation, here in my home town i got some one on one with steve joiner, that helped a bunch, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2012, 06:50:15 pm »
I would like to say Thank You to Mr. Tower.

He gifted me a full set of knapping tools including copper boppers, and coper nails and wire, rubber pad and abraders.
Then he sat with me and watched patiently while I mutilated a couple of really pretty pieces of rock, as he tried to help me see what I was unable to see at the time.  :)
Mr Tower also left me with a bucket of rock and a pail of preforms.

Thank You Sir!
Breaking Rock, as I'm no knapper yet, has brought me many hours of enjoyment.

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2012, 07:58:23 pm »
I would like to say Thank You to Mr. Tower.

He gifted me a full set of knapping tools including copper boppers, and coper nails and wire, rubber pad and abraders.
Then he sat with me and watched patiently while I mutilated a couple of really pretty pieces of rock, as he tried to help me see what I was unable to see at the time.  :)
Mr Tower also left me with a bucket of rock and a pail of preforms.

Thank You Sir!
Breaking Rock, as I'm no knapper yet, has brought me many hours of enjoyment.

-gus

Gus,

you should change your name to Lucky Gus.  ;D

TOWER ROCKS!  dp
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2012, 08:44:40 pm »
I actually got my start from Claude VanOrder here in Florida. but I've learned a bunch from the great people form this site.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline TRACY

« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2012, 09:58:21 pm »
Mark Cadwallader is a life long friend of mine that got me started years ago and again about five years ago with great rock and advice.

As for here, Outback Bob spent a few hours in the pit at Pappy's with me along with others like Leapingbare, Sawfiler, Cowboy, Hillbilly, Jackcrafty to name a few. I'm a low slearner and figure I'll get it in about another 10 years ;)

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Tower

« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2012, 10:49:20 pm »
Thanks to the P A creators & Elremolino ( Kinley Coyan) he dosent post very often on the P A . Form watching him knap I have learned patience. Witch is a must for knappers. He is one of the most accomplished knappers I've had the pleasure to watch. He gets in no hurry & really knows how to read the stone. I used to make a point in an hour or less. Now its 2 or 3 hrs. I think the quality of my points increased from watching him. He's one of the most likeable gents I've met & a great knapper. Thank you to all the P A knappers & thank you Kinley.
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline Ncsnipe

I'd like to thank everyone.
« Reply #10 on: April 20, 2012, 12:29:57 am »
I get some knowledge from all the members who post here. Special thanks go out to Hillbilly, Hardaway points, and Arrapahoe! They all helped me a lot at the first knap in I attended. Just wanted to mention one more, a dear friend who passed away some time ago, Billy Hearne. He was the first person to ever take me to search for Indian relics and that led me to want to know more about primative skills. Almost forgot my Dad who taught me a love for the outdoors.

Offline Outbackbob48

« Reply #11 on: April 20, 2012, 12:46:38 am »
First off I would like to thank Bill Hawker for taking the time to get me started in knapping, an a few yrs later when I needed some help to improve my begineer skills John Thomas sat down with me an spent hrs helping me. I will never forget how patient an helpful John is. ;D  Later Bob

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #12 on: April 20, 2012, 01:26:04 am »
Patrick Blank is who got me going.  He had to totally stop knapping for an hour or 2 to sit next to me and say...do this, do that,  DONT DO THAT!!!!  Then he sent me home with enough rock to keep practicing until I started to get it.  Thank you soooooo much. :) :)

George
St Paul, TX

Offline warhawk

« Reply #13 on: April 20, 2012, 10:47:13 pm »
My thanks goes to My Wife who introduced me to a Flintknapping website and to PaleomanJim on youtube who inspired me in all aspects of flintknapping.
In working in stone i find my past, in giving of the blood i pay for the future.

Stringman

« Reply #14 on: April 20, 2012, 11:28:38 pm »
Tim Ott gets a big part of the credit for helping me along my way. Whale of a great guy and very talented knapper to boot. If not for him, I'd probably still be chucking them over the fence after I broke em or because they looked like turtles.

Thanks Timo!