Author Topic: My new shortie recurve., finished Pics and Video  (Read 6075 times)

Offline Prarie Bowyer

Re: My new shortie recurve.
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2012, 01:35:21 am »
I'm getting realy excited about this bow.  When I firt saw them I turned my nose up at them and now I'm practicaly obsessed.

I took some shots today sitting down.  I normaly shoot at a box in my yard and hope the arrows donw sail across the alley.  any of you guys remember my primitive bunny and squirrel blunts?  Basicaly a large river pebble lashed to the end of a bamboo shaft.  1/2" min diameter.  At 18'(ish) I put that set of arrows through both sides of a card board box with fluflu fletching.  Bow dropped a bit of weight after sanding and such.  Pluss I started thinking that 65# is kinda heavy to be shooting alot and where I go it's pretty target rich.

I'm beyond thinking about fish shooting now.  I've been able to paddle right up to ducks, geese, deer and turkey on my kayak.  Not certain what is legal to shot like that but the regs aren't to clear so long as you have a duck/turkey call on you.  I'm not even finding that they must be in the air.  I figure If I'm sitting in a kayak on the water chasing a moving target I'll shoot ducks on the water.  Odds are still way more in their favor.  Pluss bamboo arrows float!  Oh God this could be a blast! 

I remember last year I was paddling along and there must have been 8 turkeys on the bank not 30' from me.  So long as you stay seated and on the water in the kayak they almost ignore you!  I've had deer practicaly sniff my head.  Stand up and they split.  Of course now that I'll be armed there will be nothing around ;D

I'm not even certain if it's legal to shoot from a kayak or if that qualifies as shooting from a vehicle.

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2012, 01:38:46 am »
The bow is 49" Tipt to tip.  widest part of the limbs is 1.25" like most of my bows.  The grip section is kinda tiny in terms of hand space.  Tips are about 1/2" wide.  At the grip it's 7/8" ish.

Offline Gordon

« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2012, 02:23:08 am »
That bow is looking real good. I'm impressed with what you were able to do with such a short bow.
Gordon

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2012, 04:27:26 am »
Thanks guys for all the great coments and feed back!

Offline Prarie Bowyer

Re: My new shortie recurve., finished Pics and Video
« Reply #19 on: April 23, 2012, 01:10:53 am »
Finished pics added at the first.  Probably should have put them here.
Working on the video now.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 01:16:29 am by Prarie Bowyer »

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #20 on: April 23, 2012, 10:16:07 am »
Finished pics look great. Did you say you had to steam the tips to get them to bend? I know you added the kerf splice. What glue did you use for the glue up? What are your tips made of?
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #21 on: April 23, 2012, 10:43:32 am »

Offline rps3

« Reply #22 on: April 23, 2012, 11:12:10 am »
I remember the clouds opening when I shot my first short bow, they are fun. You have given me food for thought having just started kyaking myself.

Your bow looks great.

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #23 on: April 23, 2012, 02:08:45 pm »
Man you are really putting the strain on that shorty! great work. the kerfs really look nice.
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #24 on: April 23, 2012, 03:20:42 pm »
I'm wondering if I should make special arrows for it and how they would be optimized for this kind of short bow.  Suggestions?