Author Topic: Extended antler nocks?  (Read 3389 times)

Offline Newindian

Extended antler nocks?
« on: April 22, 2012, 07:02:16 pm »
I was wondering if any one had ever made one in which the tines extended a few inches past the end of the bow , but with the string still nocked on the antler over the wood. I'm thinking of something that would have a crurve in the tine to enhance the appearance of something like a recurve. Give the impression of something that's not really there ;)
I like free stuff.

Offline Bevan R.

Re: Extended antler nocks?
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2012, 07:16:58 pm »
You would be adding weight to an area that you do not want extra weight. If you are going for looks fine, but for performance you want to keep as much extra weight off the tips of the bow as possable.
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2012, 07:17:46 pm »
I've done a few that went out an inch or two. The problem is the excess weight at the tips will drain some of the power and can cause more hand shock.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Newindian

« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2012, 08:56:29 pm »
Thanks, I figured it would drain preformance but might look perty cool.
I like free stuff.

Offline tattoo dave

• Rockford, MI
« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2012, 09:22:24 pm »
I made a couple asian style bows with antler syahs, or ears. For whatever reason, the string would always slip out of the nocks. Haven't tried it since, but always wanted to give it another go. Maybe it'll work for you, keep us posted.

Tattoo Dave
Rockford, MI

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2012, 09:35:27 pm »
On my early bows I made really overweight tips, later on I reduced the weight of the tips considerably, but I found it didnt make any noticeable difference to the bows performance, I know it should..... IMO I dont think the extra weight of an extended tip will make much differece and they will look cool
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2012, 10:05:02 am »
Weight would be one reason ,but the main reason I don't like the over lays go passed the tips are because they are very easy to knock off,to much leverage when the stick out and don't take much to knock them loose and a lot of times they will take the wood with them if they are glued good.Other than that they do look cool,just have to be very careful with them and I ant that careful with my bows. :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #7 on: April 23, 2012, 10:21:42 am »
Yup, I'm with Pappy on this one.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #8 on: April 23, 2012, 11:09:21 am »
most english longbows have a buffalo horn tip on the top limb that extends well beyond practical necessity, but not on the bottom limb!!
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 01:58:50 pm by dragonman »
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline Del the cat

« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2012, 12:45:21 pm »
@Dragonman.
Most, but not all, I try to keep my horn nocks fairly small, a longbow can be pretty cumbersome at the best of times without adding any extra length.
This pick shows my last one, you can see the mistake feature ;) where the wood peeks through, showing that it actually goes deep into the horn. Anyhow, that's how I do 'em.
Del
PS:- Note sthe shape lends itself to using a stringer, which also pulls onto the wood filled section.

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2012, 02:00:50 pm »
I wonder where they got their buffalo horns in medieval england?

Offline Del the cat

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2012, 03:50:41 pm »
I wonder where they got their buffalo horns in medieval england?
Off Buffalo O:), actually I think Buffalo did extend up into Europe (Wikipedia suggests they were brought into Europe by returning Crusaders) so it possibly would have been available. They were in Italy (Rome) pretty early too.
... dunno what Oxen horn is like?
I think they prob used Cow horn or antler. The guy who I get the horn from said cow horn has a tendency to split and delaminate, I got some nice 'white' Water buffalo horn which looks more like cow horn but has better working properties.

Del
« Last Edit: April 23, 2012, 04:10:36 pm by Del the cat »