Author Topic: Fast Flight Plus... how many strands?  (Read 26046 times)

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
Fast Flight Plus... how many strands?
« on: April 18, 2012, 03:35:02 pm »
I am new to the whole Fast Flight string material, Just ordered some from 3 Rivers... How many strands do you usually use for a 45-55 lb bow?  I have been making 14 strand B-50 dacron strings forever and was wondering what the conversion was to fast flight for a durable string that I don't have to worry about breaking from every day shooting.  Thanks in advance for responding!  :) -josh
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Gordon

Re: Fast Flight Plus... how many strands?
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2012, 03:49:45 pm »
I use 12 strands of FF+ for my strings and have never had a problem.
Gordon

Offline Josh

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2012, 03:53:36 pm »
cool thank you, Gordon.  :)  Can you tell a significant difference from it and Dacron? 
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2012, 03:59:33 pm »
Use minimum 4X the draw weight of the bow.  What is the tensile strength of FF?  If it is 50 lbs, then a 50 lb bow uses 4 strands minimum.

With Dacron B50, I am using 8 strands for a 50 lb bow and having to double serve the arrow nock area so that it doesn't slice thru my fingers!  I've never had a single strand of it fail in a bowstring.  Remember, when you start adding weight to the bowstring, performance suffers.  FF is supposed to be stronger than Dacron, 12 strands would be overkill in my opinion. 

But then, I think FF on wood bows is overkill period.  I'm too cheap to gain 4-5 fps for four times the price of Dacron. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #4 on: April 18, 2012, 04:05:48 pm »
I use 8 strands under 50#'s and 10 for anything over that. I use D10 D97 though. I personally notice a huge difference all the way around. Much more than just speed. In the big picture the cost is ZERO. How many string a year do you build? I spend about $50 a year on ff string material and make lots and lots of bows. So I spend $50 on the good stuff rather than $18 on B50. I wont miss that $2.66 per month  ;) and neither will you if you try it once.
« Last Edit: April 18, 2012, 04:08:58 pm by PEARL DRUMS »
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Josh

« Reply #5 on: April 18, 2012, 04:12:15 pm »
...I was of that mindset too JW but I think you get more string per roll of Fast Flight than you do Dacron so it isn't as bad as you'd think..  :)

Offline Josh

« Reply #6 on: April 18, 2012, 04:13:02 pm »
I know that a roll of Dacron is 1182 feet, still trying to find how many feet per roll of Fast Flight.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #7 on: April 18, 2012, 04:17:23 pm »
I'm using Angel Majesty 10 strands for just about everything.
I pad it out with an extra strand or two at loops and serving, (I do continuous loops strings)
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #8 on: April 18, 2012, 04:31:49 pm »
I pad mine as well. 2 strands of B50 per bundle. It protects the string from the bow.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Gordon

« Reply #9 on: April 18, 2012, 04:41:21 pm »
Can you tell a significant difference from it and Dacron?

H*ll yes I can tell the difference. My bows feel downright sluggish with B50 strings. I also have a terrible problem with the string slapping my wrist with B50. I don't have that problem at all with FF.
Gordon

Offline okie64

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2012, 04:51:32 pm »
I use 12 strands of fast flight and double serve to keep finger pinch down. I can tell a big difference in fast flight and b-50, less handshock, no wrist slap and better cast. It would be hard for me to go back to shooting b-50 again.

Offline Josh

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2012, 04:55:37 pm »
Can you tell a significant difference from it and Dacron?

H*ll yes I can tell the difference. My bows feel downright sluggish with B50 strings. I also have a terrible problem with the string slapping my wrist with B50. I don't have that problem at all with FF.

cool thanks Gordon!  I have that problem with the string slapping my arm usually at the base of my thumb on my bow hand with longer bows (>68" NtN) and was told it was from the stretch of the B50 string... Good to know it won't happen with my Fast Flight strings. 

Offline DQ

« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2012, 06:51:10 pm »
I've been using 10 or 12 strands of D-97 and serving with .025 serving material.  Ends up about the same diameter as a 14 strand B-50 string.  I also pad the loops with B-50.  I don't care much about arrow speed. The difference is in less vibration (and handshock) in the bow.  D-97 really tames a rough feeling bow.

Offline Badger

« Reply #13 on: April 18, 2012, 09:19:41 pm »
   You could get by with 4 strands on a 60# bow but it would pinch your fingers. I use 10 and serve the string most of the time. I also sometimes use 4 strands fast flight and 6 strands linen for a safe but more comfortable on the fingers string. Both are white so it looks like linen string.

Offline PatM

« Reply #14 on: April 18, 2012, 09:28:58 pm »
Steve ,
Not that someone would show up at the salt flats with a "mostly linen" string based on that info.  ;)