Author Topic: Fast Flight Plus... how many strands?  (Read 26050 times)

Offline johnston

Re: Fast Flight Plus... how many strands?
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2012, 11:16:43 pm »
Just want to be sure I understand...do I need to put B-50 only in the loops
or do I just use a whole strand per bundle? Do I have to pad at all?

Lane

Offline Badger

« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2012, 11:46:51 pm »
 PatM, I wonder if it has been done? It would be awfully embarrassing if you got caught. I usually carry 4 strings to the shooting line because I am lucky to get 2 shots of of a string. I used to carry two strings and have to stop in the middle of shooting to make another. Actually as long as the string weight is the same you don't gain any advantage from fastflight. Be nice if they gave you a minimum linen string weight and let you reinforce with fastflight just to save the trouble. You can easily detect the sound of the fastflight by plucking the string and you can see it fairly easily if you are looking for it.

Offline PatM

« Reply #17 on: April 19, 2012, 12:07:48 am »
Only if they put up prize money would you see that and then you'd have to test like it was the Olympics.
 I would rather just shoot my natural materials bow with fastflite in the modern classes to bypass the string problems.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #18 on: April 19, 2012, 09:47:40 am »
8 to 10 usually,I have one on my elm bow that is 6 d97,and yes it makes a big difference,I was very slow about moving to ff,but finely gave in and really works great,less noise and no arm slap at all. If you use b50 with very few twist it will make a big difference also,not sure as much as ff but a definite difference.  :) :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #19 on: April 19, 2012, 12:33:41 pm »
Which string material adds the most preformance to the bow? D10 , D97 , or FF?

Hope someone can help me out...

Jon

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #20 on: April 19, 2012, 01:07:50 pm »
Jon D10 & 97 are ff. Either works fine. I have tried three types of ff and cant tell the diff between them. All work equally well. Get whats on sale.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #21 on: April 19, 2012, 04:31:05 pm »
k thanks... I'm going to try some on my next few bows..

Offline randman

« Reply #22 on: April 19, 2012, 04:48:19 pm »
You can easily detect the sound of the fastflight by plucking the string and you can see it fairly easily if you are looking for it.

What is the sound characteristic to listen for?
I bought some rolls of colored string material off the "e auction site" a few years back and don't remember whether it is B50 or FF but the strings have a definite
musical note twang that my other strings don't. Does B50 make a similar sound? Any way to tell the difference between the two types? Any markings on the spools or anything?
Beauty is in the eye of the beer holder.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #23 on: April 19, 2012, 05:05:27 pm »
FF sounds very tight when plucked. B50 sounds rubbery. Inside the bottom of the spool is a sticker with the type labeled usually. After time they dry up and fall off though.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2012, 05:09:06 pm by PEARL DRUMS »
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline bubby

« Reply #24 on: April 19, 2012, 06:31:19 pm »
i think i read where spyder wire fish line is made by the same outfit as FF and is the same stuff, anyone build a string outta it?, i thought it might be a cheaper way to try it out than buying a full from three rivers, incase i dont like it, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline PatM

« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2012, 01:20:15 am »
I have mentioned that on here a few times. Spiderwire makes great strings, particularly in endless style. It is essentially the same material as fastflite. It's either Spectra or Dyneema which are variations of the same thing, just made by different companies.
 The one difference is that it's a braid which means it has a hair more give to it. Still far less stretchy than Dacron.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #26 on: April 20, 2012, 09:24:35 am »
A guy over on PP had two or three spider wire strings break at the top of the serving. Dont know his skill level or type of string made.

Offline missilemaster

« Reply #27 on: April 20, 2012, 11:39:00 am »
What about an endless loop FF string? Would that be pushing it for a wood bow because it has even less stretch than a twisted one? I am not worried about it cutting into the nocks because I always double serve the loops. Just wondering about bow safety.

Cody
All men die,  few men ever really live.

Real men love Jesus.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #28 on: April 20, 2012, 11:57:30 am »
What about an endless loop FF string? Would that be pushing it for a wood bow because it has even less stretch than a twisted one? I am not worried about it cutting into the nocks because I always double serve the loops. Just wondering about bow safety.

Cody
A continuous loop string still has twists put into it, as recomended by the string manufacturer.
I use continuous loop strings on all my bows.
If in doubt put on a horn tip overlay.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Jboyd

« Reply #29 on: April 20, 2012, 03:09:09 pm »
Any fast flight is better that b50 to me,  I have 2 strings made from the 450 plus and really like them they are very durable and the diameter is bigger than the fast flight but i think its more expensive but I really like it.

jamie