Author Topic: A new bow for the Classic, hopefully  (Read 7799 times)

Offline osage outlaw

A new bow for the Classic, hopefully
« on: April 17, 2012, 06:14:15 pm »
Since I have my trade bow and a sinewed hickory bow basically finished, I thought I would try to get another one done to take to the Classic.  If it rains  ::) I want something to shoot that doesn't have a sinewed back.  I pulled out this bow that I roughed out last spring.  It had knot hole in the limb.  When I cut out the bow on the bandsaw, I was suprised to find this lodged in the back of the knot.

A bullet!  That is what caused the hole in the limb.  The tree had grown around it.  It was a major pain to chase a ring around it.  I left some of the early wood on it to be sanded off later.  Here is how the knot looks after I thinned the limb down.

This bow has thin rings to begin with.  The spring growth rings are thicker than I like.  The wood has a different feel to it than the other osage I have worked with.  It is not as dense and it feels kind of crumbly, if that makes any sense.  I have a bad feeling this bow will break once I start bending it.  I'll try to take it easy.  I would be happy with a 40 lb target bow out of it.  Anyway, today I used a ferriors rasp and worked on getting a good limb taper.  I got it to floor tiller.

The other limb has a big whoop-de-doo coming out of the fade.  I'm sure that will give me some trouble while tillering.  After I got it floor tillered, I heated some twist out of one limb and straightened the other to get the string lined up with the handle.  I'll let it sit for a couple of days.

I have two weeks to get this thing tillered and smoothed out.  I know for a few guys on here, two weeks is enough time for 3 or 4 bows.  Not me, I'm still trying to finish bows from last year  :P   I'll post updates as I go along.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
Re: A new bow for the Classic, hopefully
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2012, 06:21:57 pm »
Looks like you had your work cut out for you on that one, but so far so good. Keep us posted!!
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2012, 06:35:50 pm »
OOOH!  what a cool piece of wood.  I would try to re-incorporate the bullet into the non-bending handle area... Like when you have it shaped dish out a recessed area in the handle and put the bullet back in it.  Good mojo with that.  :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Jodocus

« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 06:42:02 pm »
 :-\ This looks pretty intimidating to me...

but I'm sure you know what you're doing. Good luck with this one!
Don't shoot!

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2012, 06:44:58 pm »
Josh, I already thought of that.  I saved the part of the bullet that was stuck in the knot.  It is a pretty thin slice.

Jodocus, I have no clue what I'm doing
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #5 on: April 17, 2012, 06:49:36 pm »
install the bullet as a strike 'plate'
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #6 on: April 17, 2012, 07:01:17 pm »
That os just plain cool 8) im shure you will get that six shooter done in time ;)
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline dwardo

« Reply #7 on: April 17, 2012, 07:05:28 pm »
OOOH!  what a cool piece of wood.  I would try to re-incorporate the bullet into the non-bending handle area... Like when you have it shaped dish out a recessed area in the handle and put the bullet back in it.  Good mojo with that.  :)

If thin enough would make a great arrow pass  8)

blackhawk

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2012, 08:04:35 pm »
go clint go....go clint go...go clint go ;)   

Offline Will H

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2012, 08:53:07 pm »
Awesome looking project! I'm working on one right now with a similar sized hole... I might have it shooting in time fr the classic. Who knows. Good luck with it and keep us posted!
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #10 on: April 17, 2012, 09:11:37 pm »
Very cool stave buddy. Thats gonna make a sweet bow.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #11 on: April 17, 2012, 09:27:02 pm »
I've never heard of a bow getting shot before it ever had a string.  Pretty cool!  I'm looking forward to seeing the finished product.  If the good Lords willing and the creek don't rise, maybe I can see it in person at the classic.  Slim chance, but a chance none the less.   Josh

Offline Adam

« Reply #12 on: April 17, 2012, 10:21:59 pm »
That is really cool and will make a really unique bow.  I can't wait to see it when it's finished.

Offline Keenan

« Reply #13 on: April 17, 2012, 10:28:20 pm »
Looks like a fun ride Clint. Go for it and let us watch ;D

Offline coaster500

« Reply #14 on: April 17, 2012, 11:23:06 pm »
That's going to make an interesting bow and conversation piece :)

Going to be an easy one to name, maybe something like "Bullet"   >:D
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)