Author Topic: Bow Wood?  (Read 1546 times)

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
Bow Wood?
« on: April 14, 2012, 12:18:31 pm »
Any ideas on what this might be.  I've looked through a few tree books and no luck.  It has white flowers that have already fallen off.  There is some type of fungus growing on the tree that is starting to kill the smaller limbs and I need to either find a way to kill the fungus or get some bow wood (on that note, does fungus growing on the bark affect the wood?)  Note the fungus in the picture- any idea on what could be causing it?  Any help appreciated. 
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
Re: Bow Wood?
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2012, 12:38:26 pm »
Maybe a Blackhawk,Viburnam prunifolium? Or, Rusty Blackhawk?
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2012, 12:44:10 pm »
Jeff, that is a service berry(Amelanchier) and the "fungus" as you call it are lichens and/or mosses that grow on tree bark and not necessarily detrimental to the wood. The small berries are good to eat once they ripen. They will look like small blue berries when ripe and taste somewhat like them too.
  I know that the Western variety of service berry make good bows. The Eastern varieties I'm not sure of. I've not tried it. The Eastern variety is usually a small understory tree where the Western variety is usually a multi-stemmed shrub.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2012, 08:42:54 am »
Thanks for the help.   I believe it is to far north for Blackhaw.  I forgot about the berries on the tree last year so I believe it is serviceberry.   Thanks again!
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline Dauntless

« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2012, 11:48:59 am »
I've found some 3-4" diameter amelanchier over here in Quebec.  The stuff I have has an SG just shy of 0.90.

I think the lines on the bark indicate grain too so avoid the twisted stuff.
The starving grad student with too many hobbies.