Author Topic: Points for the Kiowa set.  (Read 2346 times)

Offline gstoneberg

Points for the Kiowa set.
« on: April 14, 2012, 12:50:35 am »
I used 1 old point and chipped out 2 new ones tonight for the Kiowa set that Rich made the bow and quiver for.  I got 2 of them hafted up.  The third is very small, it would have been longer but I knocked a big chip out of the base and lost almost a half inch of length.  The arrow will just fit in between the notches.  I don't know if the Kiowa would have used a point that small.  Anyway, here's the first point, one of my very early ones:

And the first one for tonight.

and the last one I think might be too small.  Not my best effort, especially the notches. I'll probably do another one for the last arrow.

Sure was nice to get back breaking some rock after being so sick yesterday.

George

St Paul, TX

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
Re: Points for the Kiowa set.
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2012, 10:57:37 am »
Oh man, them are looking good George! I'm liking that second one the best..
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline David_Daugherty

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2012, 11:56:07 am »
very nice looking, making me want to get out and break rock.   Got too much yard work to do first though  :(
"You can't put a price on being inspired"-Zooey Deschanel

Offline half eye

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2012, 12:54:17 pm »
G, very nice heads there....I think you might be suprised at just how small the NA arrow heads (stone) were.....those look awesome

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2012, 01:02:11 pm »
Very nice, George. Those look authenic.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2012, 02:39:40 pm »
Thanks guys, I wasn't sure that one would work, I guess I'll go ahead and haft it up.  I like making those little points, they're fun.

Rich, I found some paint called Pueblo that I think looks a lot like Oklahoma red dirt.  I have all 3 arrows painted now, but I mis-measured and made the painted part about twice as long as I should have.  Doh.  It'll be about half of the fletch.  Should get them finished up today.  Need to, the auction is Thursday.  That last dogwood shaft is the crookedest shaft I've ever straightened.  Good grief.  When they're done I'll post them in the arrows section.  Thanks for all the help.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2012, 08:53:16 pm »
Danged if I didn't drop the little triangle point when I was hafting it and sure enough, it broke.  :( :-[  So, I grabbed another spall and knocked out another point.  This one is a little larger.

Good grief.  At least I didn't botch the second point.  Here's the thread with the finished arrows.

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,32274.0.html

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2012, 03:04:19 am »
Lookin good George!!
You skin that smoke wagon and we'll see what happens!---Are you gonna do something? Or just stand there and bleed?

"Show me a man who will jump out of an airplane, and I'll show you a man who'll fight for his country."
Lt. General James Gavin

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jimmy.filidei

Offline Tower

« Reply #8 on: April 17, 2012, 11:01:31 am »
Those points look good . Their about the right size for N A points here. I have found a few that are 1/2 inch long & 1 point 3/8 in long perfect. Sometimes I wonder if they were bored & wanted to see who coult make the smallest point. Nice arrows.
He who sacrifices freedom for a security deserves neither one.  Benjamin Franklin!

Offline TRACY

« Reply #9 on: April 17, 2012, 11:12:15 pm »
Nice looking points and hafting George! Bummer on the dropped point, always hate when that happens :'(

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #10 on: April 18, 2012, 12:51:19 am »
Thanks guys.  I drop points all the time.   If it weren't for old flint chips breaking their falls I'd break 3/4 of what I do.  It's kind of embarrassing...

I have never found an arrowhead "in the wild".  You'd think as much time as I spend in the outdoors I'd have found one over the years.  Never have.  Maybe someday...

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2012, 01:13:02 am »
I drop points all the time.   If it weren't for old flint chips breaking their falls I'd break 3/4 of what I do.
I am thinking of getting a cheep yoga mat to put under my feet so when I drop points, it is a little padded.
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2012, 01:19:02 am »
Nice points and for a great cause  :)

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.