Author Topic: Cherry Flatbow  (Read 1771 times)

Offline arcangel

Cherry Flatbow
« on: May 03, 2012, 12:18:26 am »
I'll be posting pics soon. Hello all, I have a dilemma I working on this cherry stave and I have gotten it to a roughed profile width wise and thickness wise. I decided to chase a ring and it took 3 hours  :( and i still went in on a small part does this matter >:( will it be fine.The stave is 72 inches long. Also i roughed it 1 inch at handle to 7/8 at mid and 3/4 at tips thickness wise. I always mess up here with staves never boards. I can never seem to keep a taper to the tips and in the end it becomes scrap. Any advice would be helpful and also this is the bow for my school project. :) Also the stave bell has a few pin knots only 1 cm to 3 cm big on the belly will this affect the performance of the bow. Also the tools at my disposal are a farriers rasp,two cabinet scrapers, stanley surform, draw knife thats kind of dull and tear belly of the cherry stave :(, and soon coming sandpaper. Thanks for any help and advice. :)

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
Re: Cherry Flatbow
« Reply #1 on: May 03, 2012, 01:39:50 am »
Hello arcangel,

I'm sure you don't Really want to hear this But...

Ring Violations are not good.
Its my experience, limited though it is, to chase your growth ring first before setting your thickness profile.
That way if you violate a ring you aren't hamstrung.

You may be be able to get away with backing the bow with rawhide.

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline arcangel

« Reply #2 on: May 03, 2012, 03:51:05 pm »
sorry cm to millimeters on the size of the pin knots. also i only violated the ring twice both an inch long so I should still back it.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #3 on: May 03, 2012, 04:06:37 pm »
Cherry wont handle any voilations very well. I suggest backing it or going down another ring.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline arcangel

« Reply #4 on: May 03, 2012, 04:08:35 pm »
I'm going to try one more time and if it doesn't work I'll probably back  it now thanks for the advice :)