Author Topic: osage knot advice?  (Read 1751 times)

Offline uncleduck

• Dave W
osage knot advice?
« on: April 15, 2012, 07:27:33 pm »
Hey guys I'm working on this osage bow, I have two small knots that lie near the edge of my limb, a few inches past midlimb on the nock side.  My layout should put the edge of the limb in between the two knots, but I left extra wood around them until I got some advice from more experienced guys. Here is the pic:

The grain does not bump out to the side hardly at all, and I'm afraid that because the "bump" is not connected to anything, it will eventually separate.  Should I leave the limb layout as is, or try to run it up between the two knots?
Thanks for the help.

Offline Stickhead

• Administrator
Re: osage knot advice?
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2012, 07:34:07 pm »
I'd run it between the knots.  Those aren't bad at all for osage.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2012, 09:33:23 pm »
If the knots run straight into or through the stave I'd cut between them. Otherwise I'd have to see how the knots run.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2012, 09:53:22 pm »
I'd say follow the grain down the edge of that bow limb.  If the grain does not swirl out there's no need for your bow limb to do it.  Use a draw knife and see where it wants to go.  Looking at it closer I think you'll just remove that outer knot.  Trust the wood, it'll show you what it wants.     Most times in osage, knots that size can be pretty much ignored.

That looks like a very nice ring chasing job there.  Should make a nice bow.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2012, 11:02:54 pm »
I see it swirling a bit less than what you have. Too much there. When tillering I leave knotted area a little stiffer than the rest of the limb. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline uncleduck

• Dave W
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2012, 08:54:35 pm »
The knots went straight through the limb, so I ran the limb edge in between them. Looks like it should work out fine now that I have the edge shaved down. Thanks for the help everyone.