Author Topic: building recurve bow and need help on the limbs.  (Read 2255 times)

Offline rem300wsm

building recurve bow and need help on the limbs.
« on: April 15, 2012, 02:48:01 am »
I am new to this forum and i am building my first recurve bow and need to know what is the best woods for the limbs hopefully fairly common at the store. (no fiberglass) . I also need to know how to put bends in the limbs, and i need this bow to be real strong but flexible. Thanks.

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
Re: building recurve bow and need help on the limbs.
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2012, 09:57:20 am »
You could steambend recurves in a board or ash, elm, hickory or oak.
There's no such thing as "the best wood", but many hardwoods will work just fine.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline rem300wsm

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2012, 01:10:23 pm »
Ok so you are saying one of these woods all by itself will be fine or would it be better to use multiple layers of these woods together out of a  1 by 2.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2012, 01:46:42 pm »
All of it works for recurves. Like DS said there is no best wood it is what works better for you. You do have to consider all charactoristics of the wood you use and build appropriate to those charactoristics.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2012, 05:38:09 pm »
to make a recurve bow, you could start by seam bending the tips. It is probably better to start at the beginning  and make a straight self bow first, when you've got that down progress on to recurving them...
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......