Author Topic: Kiowa Arrows for an Auction  (Read 8543 times)

Offline gstoneberg

Kiowa Arrows for an Auction
« on: April 14, 2012, 08:10:15 pm »
Rich (half eye) and I are working together on a Kiowa bow, quiver, arrows and knife set for the annual auction of our local food bank.  I donated a sinew backed mulberry bow that they auctioned off last year and wanted to do something more special this year.  Thanks to Rich it should be very nice.  Rich provided the bow and quiver along with pictures of authentic Kiowa arrows and I roughly copied them,.  Today I finished the  arrows (well, I see from the pictures I still need to wrap the nocks and clean up the backs of the feathers.  Crooketarrow had provided the dogwood shafts a few months ago in a trade.  They are 25" long.  That bottom shaft was the hardest to straighten shaft to date.

I knapped the points.  They have been posted in the flint knapping area but I'll post my favorite here:

The feathers are turkey secondaries cut very short.

The arrows actually ride a lot lower in the quiver, but I left the fletching fully out for the pictures.  I hope the Christian Care Center is able to auction the set off for a great amount.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Bevan R.

Re: Kiowa Arrows for an Auction
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2012, 08:38:43 pm »
Nice looking arrows! I hope the whole set goes for a bundle!
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2012, 08:48:07 pm »
Thanks Bevan, me too.

Here are a couple more pics, now the nocks are done.  A little more sealer on the sinew and this set is done!  It was so windy outside I had trouble holding the arrows still so the focus is a little off, sorry.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2012, 09:51:55 pm »
Sweet arrows! I like the looks of that set...

Jon

Offline half eye

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2012, 10:32:10 pm »
Those are very fine arrows George....they look just like the very few stone headed arrows that the big museums have....twigs, low cropped feathers and small heads.....just dont get no better than that.
rich

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2012, 10:49:41 pm »
Thanks Jon and Rich.  I was a little unsure whether to sand off the scorch marks from straightening.  I ended up only giving them a light sanding because I like the mottled look.  Don't know if it's authentic or not.  Arrows sure are time consuming to make.  Thank goodness my life doesn't depend on my ability to make an arrow quick (or find it after an errant shot).

George
St Paul, TX

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2012, 12:01:13 am »
 8)
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2012, 12:45:13 am »
Well, the Kiowa set is on it's way to the auction.  Jim from the Care Center stopped by and picked it up tonight.  I wish I'd had him turn the quiver the other way. ::)  Looks like he has alien shoes on too. :o

I hope they're very successful auctioning it to raise money.  I was only able to donate 1 deer this year.  With Rich's help maybe we can get them some supplies families in town really need.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline neuse

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2012, 11:18:40 am »
Every thing about that set looks great George.
Your flint knapping looks good, I hope to learn what some of what you know next weekend.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2012, 11:44:32 am »
  SWEETTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT
 NICE HEADS I see your getting better.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2012, 11:56:15 am »
Nice set of archery gear!!  That stuff is a sweet auction gift from you guys.  They have got to be  thrilled to have you guys on their side.  What is that quiver made of?  Sweet job Guys, dpgratz
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline sadiejane

« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2012, 12:38:36 pm »
mighty kind and generous of you guys.
those are some nice arrows!
do you happen to have the pic rich sent you of the kiowa arrows you copied?
are there pix of the bow i missed somewheres?
wild women don't get the blues

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #12 on: April 15, 2012, 06:11:23 pm »
Thanks guys.  I did my part in weeks, Rich did his in days including the research...amazing.  The quiver is hair-on cowhide, I recall reading the documentation on that, I think the Kiowa traded for it but I can't trust my memory that well.  I do have museum pictures, I'll try to find their sources and post links to them.  Rich's bow was part of a post of several short bows he'd made, the only full draw is early in that post.  My post on the last page has pictures of the bow.  http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,31855.msg422762.html#msg422762.  Here's some documentation on the bow and quiver: http://www.archerylibrary.com/books/mason/north-american-bows-arrows-and-quivers/docs/lxxxii.html  I haven't found the arrow picture yet.

I see I forgot to put scratches down the arrow shafts, shoot.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #13 on: April 15, 2012, 06:37:06 pm »
Every thing about that set looks great George.
Your flint knapping looks good, I hope to learn what some of what you know next weekend.

Thanks Byron, I do OK sometimes, but Patrick, Paul and Don will be the guys to watch.  I sure intend to.  It's gonna be so much fun.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Youngboyer2(billyf)

• Live by the man-née and the sa-wa.
« Reply #14 on: April 16, 2012, 02:38:37 am »
Are those full lengeth feathers?. pretty cool set.   8)
"You speak Treason!" "Fluently"-Robin of Locksley
When people ask "why didn't you do that the first time" you can be sure that they  have never made a bow before.