Author Topic: Nice source in Alaska for exotics and hardwoods  (Read 1503 times)

Offline kevinnator11

• Just a new guy learning all of the tips and tricks
Nice source in Alaska for exotics and hardwoods
« on: April 12, 2012, 08:20:48 pm »
I am a new member here and I've been reading posts on this site for a while.  I've built one bow from a red oak board so far and definitely have the bug. 

If you are from Alaska you know that finding good woods can be difficult.  Anyway, I found a good source in Anchorage for smaller pieces of different exotics that could be used for risers or tip overlays.  They also have some pieces of hardwoods that are long enough to make board bows or backings.  Blah Blah right get to the place.

Hardware Specialties on West 54th.  The guys there were extremely helpful and they have bins of different types of exotics that they sell by the pound.  I got several interesting specimens that I can't wait to work with.  I'll try to get on soon and post some pics of them and my new bow. 

I had to register to pass this place on.  Have a great day folks!
Kevin

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
Re: Nice source in Alaska for exotics and hardwoods
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2012, 08:29:15 pm »
sinew backed spruce works well. birch and Oceanspray, tamarack. work very good for bows. if your tired of boards

-B
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline kevinnator11

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2012, 10:01:28 pm »
This is all new to me.  Just got started.  I will look into those so I can identify them when I hit the woods.  Snow's melting about time to get the chainsaw out to get some firewood for next winter so I'll be keeping a lookout for some stuff to try.  At the moment it's just easier for me with the boards.  I see a lot of birch around though so that will be really easy to get. 

Thanks for the info.

Kevin

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2012, 12:48:21 am »
No problem. Someone you might want to look up is Sempertiger. Hes new and lives in Alaska as well maybe you guys could team up and hit the woods.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline kevinnator11

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2012, 01:51:44 pm »
Yes I saw some of his posts.  He's one of the main reasons I wanted to post this.  I think he may be quite a ways from Anchorage though not sure.
Kevin

Offline Sempertiger

« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2012, 04:17:41 pm »
I'm down in Juneau and don't really make it to Anchorage much, but will be going by the store next time I'm up there. There are several trees and bushes that could produce great bows. Pick up "Alaska Trees and Shrubs" by leslie A. Viereck and Elbert L. Little, Jr. you can cross reference everything that grows near you with the TBB series and this site. There are several that we don't share in common, but birch, service berry and some special dense spruce that grows in high steep areas, are what you do have available.
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."
~Albert Einstein~