Author Topic: Elm log questions....  (Read 2087 times)

TurtleCreek

Elm log questions....
« on: April 15, 2012, 06:00:29 am »
  Just yesterday, I had cut a nice elm log  that's about 12 inches across and 78 inches long, straight and clean.  Due to work and time  limits I have not been able to split the log into staves yet, however, the ends are sealed with shellac.  The soonest I will be able to split it into staves is on monday.  So, in the mean time, I have the log in the garage resting on a couple of 2x4s to keep it up off the concrete floor.  Maybe I am a little too worried about it, but will the wood still be ok if I split the staves out on monday?  And with elm, should the bark be removed and the back sealed ASAP or can I let the staves season with the bark on?

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
Re: Elm log questions....
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2012, 08:43:30 am »
If the ends have been sealed properly, you can leave the log for a few days. I think even a week (maybe two) would not be a problem. Just monitor the ends once a day: as soon as you see small checks forming, you need to start splitting! Small checks will rapidly progress.

Personally, I would split the log to staves and remove the bark. Insects really like the bark of elm; if you don't remove it, these buggers may start on your wood... If the staves are small enough (smaller than 3"x3"), I don't think you need to seal the back of the stave, but it certainly won't hurt.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2012, 09:16:15 am »
If the bark will peal off now, I would take it off.  It will be a job getting it off if you leave it on the staves and it sets up.  Good luck splitting that elm.  They can be a pain to split sometimes.  I would rather split a 20" osage log than a 10" elm log.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2012, 11:11:07 am »
  Take the bark of while green but if you don't spray it down with pestaside. I've did it both ways. But if your not in a hurry I have let them dry in log fourm. Just debark and seal the whole log stand in the corner a couple years and forget about it.  Way easer to spit later on. Now elms a beast when green. Enter lock grain. Now I spilt all my staves debarked sealed cut down some to add a couple inchs of reflex to them.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

TurtleCreek

« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2012, 03:38:07 pm »
  Will the bark still "peel" off 2 days after it was cut?  The log is in the garage out of the weather and the ends are sealed, it rained buckets last night and there is quite a bit of humidity in the air- not sure if that will still help the bark to peel off if I split it into staves tomorrow.

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2012, 09:28:19 pm »
I had some American Elm that was cut in the fall, laid there all winter, and wasn't split till the following summer.  The bark peeled right off, no problem.  The ends had checked a bit, but didn't go very far into the log.  I sealed the backs of some of the staves, but I doubt that I would have had to.

TurtleCreek

« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2012, 02:47:49 am »
  I will have my work cut out for me tomorrow...  I will post pics of how it all goes

mikekeswick

« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2012, 04:48:20 am »
No need to seal the back with elm. Just split and remove the bark. Have a machette or similar ready when splitting to cut the stringers.