Author Topic: Flipping tip question from a newbie and terminology  (Read 1777 times)

Offline kevinnator11

• Just a new guy learning all of the tips and tricks
Flipping tip question from a newbie and terminology
« on: April 13, 2012, 04:23:23 pm »
I'm about to start my second bow from a red oak board and I was thinking about flipping the tips a bit.  I've been looking through here and a lot of stuff I understand.  However maybe I'm dyslexic and keep confusing reflex/deflex and what string follow means and set and all that.  I'm learning though.

So it seems that I should use steam and a form of some type.  My work area consists of hand tools and a side table that I didn't mind beating up so I'm limited.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.  I plan to start roughing it out this weekend so hopefully bend the tips Sunday. 

My plan was to use my coleman camp stove, steal a pot and steam the tips over it for an hour then clamp it in something I can rig up.  How long should I leave it and how long should I let it dry after I finish.  I'm backing with multiple layers of brown paper.  Thought I'd try something new.

Kevin

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
Re: Flipping tip question from a newbie and terminology
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2012, 05:07:30 pm »
leave it clamped for a day or two and dont bend it for around a week.  I would build a caul out of a 2x6 in the shape of the curve you want and clamp a strip of tin on the belly side while bending.  You only have about 10-15 seconds to bend it when you pull it off the steam so it helps to already have your clamps ready. (found this one out the hard way.)  Don't be afraid to put it back over the steam if it feels like it is losing its plasticity and starting over.  It only takes like 10 more minutes of steam to get it pliable again after you have already steamed it for 30-45 minutes if you get it directly back over the steam again.  Make a bubble with aluminum foil over the pot to trap the steam on the limbs will also help the steaming time.  I might be able to find some pics of the forms I made for my last red oak recurve. Anyhow good luck!
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Josh

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2012, 05:12:54 pm »
oh here is a link to my red oak bow.

http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,24411.15.html

still can't find a pic of the cauls I used.  :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline kevinnator11

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2012, 07:59:40 pm »
That's what I was looking for.  I wasn't sure it would be a good idea with a board.

Thanks.
Kevin

Offline Josh

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2012, 08:16:14 pm »
it's not supposed to be a good idea but ever once in awhile it will work.  The grain has to just about be perfect.  Also round all your edges before you start steaming/bending. 

Offline kevinnator11

« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2012, 09:46:54 pm »
Thanks, and yet another question.

What is set and what is trapping the back?
Kevin