Author Topic: Hickory backed osage with hickory power lam  (Read 1695 times)

Offline hedgeapple

Hickory backed osage with hickory power lam
« on: April 13, 2012, 01:04:34 am »
I just got this bow tillered out today.  In the picture, the tips aren't reduced.  I did that this evening but it was too later for photos

I've wanted to try a decrowned osage with hickory back for awhile.  My first attempt failed because of a glue line failure.  I'm still learning how to do glue ups.

The roughed out stave had a reflex, but after sanding it flat, it took a deflex.  For that reason I felt I should try to flip the tips a bit.  My first attempt on flipping tips.  After sanding the osage was too thin in the handle area, about .5" , with hickory backing it would be about .66".  I had two options, glue on a riser and make a stift handle bow: Or, try a power lam strip.  The stave was only 58" and I really wanted a slightly bendy handle.  So, I went the power lam route.  My first attempt at this, also.

I glued in about 2" for reflex, know this piece of wood had deflex tendancies I fully expected to lose that in the tiller process.

She's 56 1/4 ntn.  48# at 26 1/2" draw  After unstringing she had about 5/8 set.  After resting about 1/4' set.

I'll be shooting her for the first time tomorrow and will let you know how she does.

Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline gmc

Re: Hickory backed osage with hickory power lam
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2012, 01:22:04 am »
Can't wait to see this one up close.

Very nice bend on that bow.

Feel free to post more pictures.  8)
Central Kentucky

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2012, 01:34:50 am »
Thank, GMC.  I figured I'd see how she shoots tomorrow and take some pics then.  If she does well, I'll dress her up like a debutant for a photo shoot.  She might even get some skins and some bison tip overlays.  ;
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2012, 07:22:08 am »
Nice,love the Osage dust on the pants,looks like mine most of the time. :) :)Looking forward to seeing it up close and maybe get my hands on it. ;) ;D ;D
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline hedgeapple

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2012, 07:47:33 am »
Thanks Pappy.  Being covered in "gold" dust makes me happy. ;)  I hope she makes it through bow boot camp today.  I'm made her to bring to the Classic.  :)
Dave   Richmond, KY
26" draw

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #5 on: April 13, 2012, 11:15:17 am »
Looks good, Hedge. Can't wait for the close-ups!!
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2012, 01:31:41 pm »
looking good.
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis