Author Topic: Mulberry stave question  (Read 2077 times)

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
Mulberry stave question
« on: April 12, 2012, 06:29:44 pm »
Recently downed an old growth Mulberry tree that was damaged, Although it didn't produce any full length staves I was able to salvage some nice billets and was going to make the grandkids some bows. Would it be best to take them down to the first growth ring or leave some sapwood intact?
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
Re: Mulberry stave question
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2012, 07:10:44 pm »
There's plenty of heartwood, so there is no need to keep some of the sapwood. The heartwood is better and stronger in mulberry, so I would definitely remove the sapwood.
Those are nice billets :) Lovely color of the wood.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline TRACY

« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2012, 07:18:25 pm »
As said, just use the first layer under the sapwood , it looks like a good ring.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2012, 07:39:29 pm »
looks like monster sized rings. good place to practice if you have never chased a ring yet.
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline Adam

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2012, 07:53:25 pm »
It might not be a bad idea to consider a backing.  It would be a little safer for a kid's bow.

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2012, 10:03:49 pm »
The picture didn't focus that well and the rings aren't as wide as they look. They are actually close to medium. guess i'll be closely chasing rings. Thanks for the input. I ended up getting 5 so far and hoping for more.  The shortest 2 are 30" and the longest so far is 47 1/2".
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline Stefan

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2012, 06:18:11 am »
Beautiful wood, looks kinda like laburnum. Would love to see photo's of the finished bows. Good luck

Stefan
Iron rusts from disuse, water loses its purity from stagnation... even so does inaction sap the vigor of the mind.

Leonardo

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #7 on: April 13, 2012, 11:05:34 am »
 Just remove the sap wood and seal.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING