Author Topic: Brain tan buckskin - smoked or not?  (Read 4359 times)

Offline Carson (CMB)

Brain tan buckskin - smoked or not?
« on: April 12, 2012, 04:10:16 pm »
I have some brain tan buckskin I picked up a while back on ebay.  I would like to make either a shirt or a couple of side quivers.  I have heard that smoking buckskin makes it more waterproof.  How can i tell if the buckskin I have has been smoked?  If it hasn't can I still smoke it?  Thanks.  Don't know my way around brain tan buckskin, but I sure would like to add that skill to my list!
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Brain tan buckskin - smoked or not?
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2012, 05:01:10 pm »
Stick your nose in it and sniff deeply.  Does it smell like strong bacon?  Any smoke smell?

Secondly, does it have any color?  Brain tan that is unsmoked is almost pure white (depending on different recipes), unless the tanner used a dye.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2012, 10:06:37 am »
What JW said on telling and yes you can some it anytime,I have a couple tat need smoking now.I just do them when I get time and am in the mood. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #3 on: April 13, 2012, 02:49:23 pm »
Thanks JW and Pappy.  I could not detect even the faintest smell of smoke or bacon, and dang if just trying to smell bacon doesn't make me hungry!  The color is almond.

So I am guessing smoke from burning animal fat is best for smoking hides for waterproofing?

No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2012, 05:26:38 pm »
All the braintanners I know prefer punky hardwoods for smoking.  The punky wood almost guarantees no flare-ups that could burn or overheat the leather.  It just smokes, smolders, and smudges.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Carson (CMB)

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2012, 02:11:34 am »
Thanks again JW.  I will give it a try once I get a chance.  Can't have backyard fires in my neighborhood  :'( ....one of the main reasons we are looking for some space in the country.  Until then, I will smoke my skins down at my folks place.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2012, 09:33:32 am »
A few hot coals and punk wood is what I use also. No heat or very little ,just smoke. :) Usually takes about 30 to 45 minutes per side,with good smoke. :) The pipe is to keep the heat away from the hide.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Matt G.

« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2012, 09:04:54 am »
I want to learn to do that so bad!!! Dieing for a set of buck skins.
Keeping the Faith!
Matt