Author Topic: Fishing arrow try #2  (Read 1873 times)

Offline Prarie Bowyer

Fishing arrow try #2
« on: April 11, 2012, 03:24:54 am »
After the last arrow fail and the fact that I snapped off my insert tip in the shaft which is now permanently fused I decided to just make a whole new arrow.

I made the whole thing form garden bamboo.  The detachable part is also bamboo.  It's actualy a thinner diameter.  The shaft is filled with a bronze rod and super glue.  It bottoms out on the node structrue.    Fletching is goose and I used what I think I'm seeing from Avatar's two feather method.  They seem to fly alright for shorter ranges.  I use "the other side" of the feather for these.    The lanyard is some left over cellular blinds cording after restringing our big blinds. >:(
It's thin tough and easy to work with.  I think it will hold.  My last one I braided sinew and gave it a TB3 bath.  It's connected with nail knots and coated in super glue. 

The tip is my knapping.  I have no idea what the stone is.  It's from a flake I was sent.  That is NOT pitch.  It's clear Epoxy with a drop of black acryllic hobby paint.  Too much and you'll make chewing gum.  Also if you do this dont' use alchohol on the epoxy.  It turned to rubber and took 2 days to dry just from dipping my figer in the epoxy so I could smoth it around with out gluing an arrow to my hand.  It's one or the other apparently.  RIT dye in the the powder works well also.

Offline Prarie Bowyer

Re: Fishing arrow try #2
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 03:27:44 am »
Stupid auto focus. :-\

Offline CherokeeKC

• PM108323
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 07:17:56 pm »
Looks cool to me!  Are you gonna try it on some carp?
Aim Small...Hit Small

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2012, 01:34:00 am »
As soon as I get a bow to use. :P

I've had great luck going to the range, or even out fishing with them.  People buy them from me.  So again I'm bowless with one on the bench.  I can't hit the broad side of a barn.  I have 30 arrows, all differnt spines and head types and haven't spent more than a few weeks with the same bow.  I sound like a filanderer. O:)

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2012, 11:35:54 pm »
Arrow failed.

I got duped by a bag or something under the water and thought I saw a belly flash and back undulating next to a log.  I stalked down the 45* slope of a large boulder bank.  Nearly died in an avolanche twice.  Loaded my arrow took aim and killd the plastic bag dead.  Also drilled the rock behind it and snapped my stone point off.  It was still kinda "pokey" as my 4 year old would say so I kept on shooting at other fish.  When I finaly hit one.  A floater that came through the dam I got a glancing shot and dislodged my head.  However I noticed that my epoxy turned to rubber in the water.  I won't do that again.

I also saw that when I hit that bag and rock combo I STILL managed to shove the foreshaft down in the main shaft and fuse it.  I think I was able to save the main shaft.  Whole foreshaft and tip need to be replaced.  At this point I'm thinking Yoyindo got lucky with his arrow.  I'm gong to give the removable foreshaft and stone tip idea one more try then I'm going to move on to an antler tip.

What did I learn. 
Bottoming out on the node is not enough.  You need a collar or something on the forshaft also.
TB3 gets softish when wet alot.  Use super glue.
Stone tips may be best for kayak shooting with a short bow.
I may need to use something different for my foreshaft altogeather.  The bamboo was nice because I could poke the foam out and fill it with a brass or steel piece and have something that was heavy enough and still looked primitive.

Tipless the arrow did great.  Blasted right through the fish a few times.

Try # 3 coming.

Need to finish up my set or trade arrows but I'm ready for cutting trade point slots on the band saw and it's pouring cats and dogs pluss the MRs. is out and that would leave the baby unattended.

Feel guilty working on my arrows when I have an agreement.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2012, 01:50:12 am »
Hey bud looks could I have a few concerns but ill pm yah for that. Idk why they would fail so easily.
Clatskanie, Oregon