Author Topic: To kill a turkey and a pig.  (Read 1094 times)

Offline Prarie Bowyer

To kill a turkey and a pig.
« on: April 11, 2012, 02:46:26 am »
Hey guys.

I'm feeling confidant enough about my knapping skills that I can make something that will kill bigger game.  I'll be nailing fish this summer left right and center but I was thinking. .. I like a long narrow point for fish.  Less drag deeper penetration for detaching my slip tip.

In the Fall I'm going to try and take a turkey.  What sort so tips do you guys like for that.  Style, Size, Weight?  I live in Iowa so there are as I understand no laws on broadheads.  Are pinetrees a good idea if you are after the meat or are they more to look at?

As to the pig.  Here in Iowa there isn't even a liscense required to go get them and we have them in the south.  I've taken deer (not primitive) but never a pig and I have  a hankering for pork.  Any guidelines for making dead pigs with stone heads?
« Last Edit: April 12, 2012, 12:59:19 pm by Prarie Bowyer »

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
Re: To kill a turkey and a pig.
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2012, 09:42:41 am »
I'd make small simple triangles. Notches or no notches either one. Twistedlimbs just started a discussion on turkey points where he bounced a nice sounds like kinda broad point off of one. So sounds like smaller to penetrate through the feathers. Also look at Billy Berger's penetration test on deer with "bird points". I bounced a broad triangle off a pig once but think it connected with bone first..
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Prarie Bowyer

Re: To kill a turkey and a pig.
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2012, 01:00:45 pm »
I just saw billy bergers video.. pluss there is another where Bekhamoutdoors shoots a Butterball I found also.  Bird points it is then.