Author Topic: how to properly age yew?  (Read 1247 times)

Offline blackpanem

how to properly age yew?
« on: April 11, 2012, 12:21:37 am »
i have 5 yew limbs ranging from 5 feet and 3 inches around to 6 feet and 5 inches around. do i split them and seal the ends? just peel of the bark or what?

Offline Weylin

Re: how to properly age yew?
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2012, 12:28:07 am »
I would split them, seal the ends but leave the bark on. The bark will help prevent checks in the sapwood. I won't tell you how I know that... ::)

depending on the nature of the particular logs you have it might be better to rip them with a bandsaw instead of splitting them but I'm not an expert in that (or anything for that matter) so other might have more informed opinions regarding how best to split them.

Offline vinemaplebows

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2012, 12:29:42 am »
The 5 inch round I would saw (not split) leave the others as is seal the ends, and wait, do not remove the bark on either.
Debating is an intellectual exchange of differing views...with no winners.

Offline coaster500

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2012, 12:30:48 am »
split them, leave the bark on and seal the ends....  Then find a good lounge chair put your feet up and watch em dry  :laugh:
Inspiration, information and instruction by the ton and it's free,,, such a deal :)

Offline blackpanem

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2012, 12:31:13 am »
ok thanks guys :D

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2012, 12:41:00 pm »
Like the guys have said... After 9 months I take off the bark and start roughing 'em out a bit at a time , by the time they have had a year you'll have 'em roughed out to staves and ready to go.
Some people may say leave it longer (maybe that's true for big logs), but it works for me.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline blackpanem

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2012, 09:29:54 pm »
ok thanks del ;D