Author Topic: Plains Quiver (added a custom man-purse)  (Read 7960 times)

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
Plains Quiver (added a custom man-purse)
« on: April 02, 2012, 09:57:41 pm »
I've been meaning to make one of these for quite a while, and madcrow's recent quiver post inspired me to get going on one.  Here's my take on the plains-type quiver.  It's loosely based on the dimensions given in the quivers chapter of TTBB vol 2., but a little longer.  The leather is elk hide.  I had some sticks I had collected to try to make arrow shafts out of, and was going to use one for the stiffener, but they were all to snakey to use, and too green to straighten, hence the cheap 3/8 dowel.

« Last Edit: April 13, 2012, 10:43:33 pm by Cameroo »

Offline madcrow

• Swift, Silent, and covered in wood shavings.
Re: Plains Quiver
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 11:11:50 pm »
You did a great job on it.  I love the gold color.

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 11:14:28 pm »
Very nice looking sliver sock!!
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline bubby

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2012, 03:48:49 pm »
you'll be stalkin' in style now, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #4 on: April 04, 2012, 01:10:29 am »
Thanks guys.  After using it a bit the other day, I gotta say this is my new favorite type of quiver.  I can reach the arrows easily, there's nothing slapping against my side or leg, and I can hug it at my chest when in "stalker mode".

I'm thinking I should make a pouch that will lace onto the dowel to put my armguard, glove, a spare string, and other random goodies into.

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2012, 03:37:50 am »
Cameroo,  Good job, and I agree that this is a very comfortable style of quiver.   I think a small pouch is a great idea.  I've done the same,  but I'll point out that the thongs are a great place to hang things between trips out to the field.   Just tie your tab and armgaurd to the quiver.    Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline cracker

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2012, 09:23:41 am »
Verrrrrrrry nice. Ron 8)
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline Dane

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2012, 10:02:03 am »
I made a stone age quiver that is very similar. It took some getting used to, like keeping it from swinging forward and interferring with shooting at first as I learned how to use it. You can always replace the dowel with a nice branch later, too. Dane
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline Cameroo

• Cam's Stuff
« Reply #8 on: April 13, 2012, 10:34:55 pm »
Thanks Dane and Ron (and Ron!)

Here's a matching man-purse that I made to carry other goodies in.  I still have to come up with some kind of closure for the flap, but I like it already.  Could probably stuff a rabbit into it if I had to  ;) Or at least 5 squirrels!

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
Re: Plains Quiver (added a custom man-purse)
« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2012, 02:21:37 am »
Cam that's purty. I love me a murse. I carry one with me into school everyday :laugh: That's a unique leather color.

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline Carson (CMB)

Re: Plains Quiver (added a custom man-purse)
« Reply #10 on: April 14, 2012, 05:27:01 am »
That is a nice quiver Cameroo.  I have finally come to the conclusion that that quiver style is what I want to go use for hunting.  I need to get one made up, now that JW and Pappy learned me how to smoke some brain-tan.  I like the pocket too.  Nice work all around!
"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso