Author Topic: Quartizite and Texas Chert  (Read 3287 times)

Offline Jimbob

Quartizite and Texas Chert
« on: April 10, 2012, 01:29:37 am »
The point on the left is from some material that Tower sent me (THANK YOU)!!!  The one on the right is some quartzite that I picked up out of the dirt road behind the house.  The quartzite was really tough but not as tough as I thought it would be.  I was kinda shocked to get anything that resembled a point.  I would have taken it further but it was getting late in the afternoon and I needed to get to sleep (working graveyard shift).   Let me know what yall think.
You skin that smoke wagon and we'll see what happens!---Are you gonna do something? Or just stand there and bleed?

"Show me a man who will jump out of an airplane, and I'll show you a man who'll fight for his country."
Lt. General James Gavin

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jimmy.filidei

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
Re: Quartizite and Texas Chert
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2012, 07:09:44 am »
Looking good JB! That quartzy stuff looks familiar. I found a bunch of that that had washed out of a lakeshore in SC. Tried knapping it but was not patient enough.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2012, 08:12:42 am »
Thanks Cowboy, it can be kinda brittle and tough all at the same time.  There are usually alot of fractures and inclusions in it.  I had a decent little piece going and hit it ever so lightly and it broke into three pieces.
You skin that smoke wagon and we'll see what happens!---Are you gonna do something? Or just stand there and bleed?

"Show me a man who will jump out of an airplane, and I'll show you a man who'll fight for his country."
Lt. General James Gavin

Offline maddog314

« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2012, 11:34:59 am »
That quartzite looks realy tough.. Good job on tough stuff...I wounder if the old timers used it because of how tough it is? Great job!
Micah

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2012, 01:17:21 pm »
Thanks!!

Lt. General James Gavin

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2012, 02:11:40 pm »
That quartzite looks really tough.. Good job on tough stuff...I wounder if the old timers used it because of how tough it is? Great job!
Micah
There is actually a mine the NA's used in Wyoming, called 'Spanish Diggings'. They used to gather there and quarry quartzite. I got to go there once with a museum group. There were derb piles all over.
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline bryan irwin

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2012, 09:24:54 pm »
nice that quarts is all over the carolinas and i find a lot of points made from it the flakes are scary sharp.
bryan irwin

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2012, 12:49:25 am »

There is actually a mine the NA's used in Wyoming, called 'Spanish Diggings'. They used to gather there and quarry quartzite. I got to go there once with a museum group. There were derb piles all over.
[/quote]

Thats interesting, do you have any pics???  Id like to see them if you do?

nice that quarts is all over the carolinas and i find a lot of points made from it the flakes are scary sharp.

Bryan, do you live in the Carolinas??  Where abouts?

Lt. General James Gavin

Offline Josh B

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2012, 02:23:23 am »
Cool!  That quartzite does look challenging. Josh

Offline bryan irwin

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2012, 09:08:34 pm »
jimbob i live about 1hour north of charlotte in mooresville
bryan irwin

Offline Jimbob

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2012, 10:34:30 pm »
Oh ok, cool.  I live near Fayetteville.

Lt. General James Gavin

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2012, 12:09:36 am »
Hillbilly in NC has some excellent yellow quartz in the creek behind his house. I was suprised to see how easy it pressure flaked. I sure wish I coulds get some more. :P
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline bryan irwin

« Reply #12 on: April 12, 2012, 08:09:14 pm »
how much you wont eddie
bryan irwin