Author Topic: Tri-lam Warbow tiller help  (Read 9715 times)

Offline Dag

• Warbow Trials
Re: Tri-lam Warbow tiller help
« Reply #15 on: May 25, 2011, 02:42:34 pm »
Sorry I haven't kept this thread very active lately. Been focusing on finding a job and such.

Anyways, I have made myself a tillering stick and fashioned a shorter tillering string as advised. Im now ready to get back to work on this stave.  Previously I had been taking videos of the tiller in. However, there was very little difference from video one to video eight. So, I halted progress until I could get a tillering stick and appropriately sized string. Both of which I have now!

So, this video is my eighth tiller video as explained above. I just thought Id show you guys where Im at now and hopefully I'll have it finished soon!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=omsppS5FDsU

Offline Ian.

« Reply #16 on: May 25, 2011, 03:18:07 pm »
Bows are more important than Jobs  ::)

The outer 18-24" could do with bending more on both limbs, and I would be careful with the left limb in the picture just make sure no hinge develops there, its going well so far keep us posted.
ALways happy to help anyone get into heavy weight archery: https://www.facebook.com/bostonwarbowsbows/

Offline Dag

• Warbow Trials
« Reply #17 on: May 27, 2011, 02:57:02 am »
Ok, so I've got the stave bending evenly.  The string is as long as the stave and was pulled to 16".  What now? Do I scrape along the entire length of the bow? How do I proceed? Thanks a million!

Offline Ian.

« Reply #18 on: May 27, 2011, 06:56:12 am »
If you think it will (or post a picture) get it to a low brace 4" but be careful if you haven't tillered enough many bows break while stringing for the first time.
You have got to be sure that you've got the stave near the final dimensions of the 130lb any excess will get crushed and will make it difficult to get a good weight, that is apart from the tips as you can get the last 18" flexing later on.
ALways happy to help anyone get into heavy weight archery: https://www.facebook.com/bostonwarbowsbows/

Offline Dag

• Warbow Trials
« Reply #19 on: April 15, 2012, 01:47:36 am »
Still working on this tri-lam warbow. It has been a few months since I worked on it last and boy is it a doozy, haha! Here is a quick video showing the current bend. It still needs plenty of work in the mid-limb area to the tips. The upper limb is on the right hand side of the screen and doesn't appear to bend as much as the lower limb. The lower limb in fact looks like it might be developing a hinge next to my hand.

My next goal is to build a tiller tree with a good strong pulley system. I am working on this bow purely from making short videos like these and using a mirror for floor tillering.

Anyways, any help is appreciated! I have a good idea of what to do and of course a tiller tree is really going to help once I get that built.

Oh! I am hoping to get anything over #90@32". Originally I was shooting for #130@32" but since I haven't been shooting warbows for awhile and since this stave was on the thinner side I though #130 might be pushing it.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YjxccjyJSYo

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
« Reply #20 on: April 15, 2012, 02:05:54 pm »
looks pretty good, bu ti thin it needs some more bend in the right limb,looking good so far ;D, cant wait to see it spitting arrows
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #21 on: April 15, 2012, 02:40:21 pm »
I'd say that it is a little stiff mid right limb.. The left limb is looking good...

Jon

Offline Ian.

« Reply #22 on: April 15, 2012, 06:58:14 pm »
Looking good Dag, I don't think you need to do much to it and to be honest I would be inclined to give it a low brace and see how it looks. Wood will need to be removed from some areas but don't both trying to chase a perfect long string tiller, get it on a short string as soon as you can.

Offline Dag

• Warbow Trials
« Reply #23 on: April 16, 2012, 07:00:31 pm »
Thanks for the comments guys!

I held up a CD to a still of the video and the lower limb actually looks pretty good and maybe is not hinging but rather the upper limb just needs more work.

I'll try and give it a brace this week Ian, I'm nervous, haha! Naw, warbowery is not for the faint of heart and I fear not  :)  The stave is looking and feeling like it is going to make it over my #90@32" minimum goal with no problem.

Bottom line is I need to get that tiller tree set up! haha!

Again, thanks for your input guys!