Author Topic: Distance expectations  (Read 4993 times)

mikekeswick

Distance expectations
« on: March 25, 2012, 04:13:24 pm »
I've just made a new elb of 100lbs @ 31, bamboo,padauk and ipe. It's still waiting for horn nocks and has only been briefly shot in. I may cut it down a little to up the weight to around 110lb. It seems pretty fast as is. I haven't chronographed it yet as i was a bit tired and scared for my chrony :)
I will be shooting it for distance in the next couple of days with a standard arrow.
I'm just wondering what sort of distances people have got with similar weight bow/arrow combinations for a benchmark. 

Offline Ian.

Re: Distance expectations
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2012, 04:43:22 pm »
Look forward to seeing what it does, as far as expectations I would hazard a guess at 250 knowing the quality of bows you can make. Looking through the EWBS shoots bows of that weight normally do, 210-230 with a standard.

Did you make this one with the sole intention of it being a flight bow?
ALways happy to help anyone get into heavy weight archery: https://www.facebook.com/bostonwarbowsbows/

mikekeswick

« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2012, 05:01:39 pm »
I'm blushing Ian ;D I wouldn't expect anything spectactular from this one...
No it was made with some spare laminations I had already cut up. Glued with a little reflex, 1/2 inch or so. It's 78 inch at the moment and a little overbuilt so there is still 'life' in the wood to play with if I do decide to shorten it a little.
I'm looking forward to launching a few big arrows with it and am thinking about joining the EWBS and going to some of their shoots.
By the way do you know a good supplier of bodkins to fit standard arrows in England.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2012, 05:32:31 pm »
In my experience 'Distance expectations' are generally n+20  >:(
where n is the measured distance it actually shoots  ;)
A bit like a Fisherman's weight expectations ::).
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline fishfinder401

• noel laflamme noellaf2@cox.net
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2012, 05:44:55 pm »

A bit like a Fisherman's weight expectations ::).

i know from experience, that that is all two true ;) ::)
warbows and fishing, what else is there to do?
modern technology only takes you so far, remove electricity and then what

Offline Ian.

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2012, 06:13:10 pm »
I think the reflex will add a lot, when I glue up my next bow I am going to put reflex in as I think its vital for performance. As you say 78" is long but it should still perform, has it got much early draw weight? It would be good to have you in the EWBS, its pretty competitive at the minute with some very impressive bows being made. I use Richard Head's machine made bodkins for my standard arrows, its the only arrow that doesn't have to have a forged head.

On a side note Bamboo isn't allowed in the EWBS unless its with a flight arrow, so the current distances will be set with Hickory backs. 

ALways happy to help anyone get into heavy weight archery: https://www.facebook.com/bostonwarbowsbows/

Offline fishfinder401

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2012, 06:20:50 pm »
ian, im curious, how would someone join the ewbs? sounds like the type of place that could help me learn

Offline Ian.

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2012, 06:45:22 pm »
Hi Noel

I can't post links, but if you go to the English Warbow Society webpage then look at the membership tab there's a form you will need to complete and send off, its £5 to become an associate member. There is also an American chapter starting on facebook, I would start by joining there. You will get loads of advice and help.

Offline fishfinder401

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2012, 06:53:54 pm »
ok, thanks, i am actually helping start the American warbow society, but i figure, for the meantime, joining the ewbs would be a good way to make contacts and learn, so i can help pass it on

Offline adb

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2012, 04:41:31 pm »
For me, with a 100# bow using a livery arrow (64 grams), 200 yards is a decent benchmark.

Offline Ian.

« Reply #10 on: April 10, 2012, 09:14:11 pm »
Any news on the bows Performance.......

Offline fishfinder401

« Reply #11 on: April 10, 2012, 10:04:35 pm »
not really for me, i am still getting my technique and relise worked out and am seeing a slight increase in distance, but a large increase in consistency,

mikekeswick

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2012, 05:13:53 am »
Sorry guys i've been so busy with other things I haven't even had a chance to string this bow! I will soon!

Offline Ian.

« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2012, 12:43:04 pm »
You could keep it fresh, Batsford would be a good maiden flight for it.