Author Topic: my new varmint rifle  (Read 1547 times)

Offline Josh B

my new varmint rifle
« on: April 08, 2012, 10:40:54 pm »
My dad and grandpa teamed up and made me this rifle for a combination Christmas/birthday present.  My dad bought the Howa1500 barreled action chambered in .375 Ruger and grandpa made the stock.  Needless to say, I was absolutely tickled to receive such a gift.  However, I don't think I'll be shooting any prairie dogs with it.  Moose or Kodiak would be a little more befitting this rifle.  Just to give you an idea of the chunk of lead this sends down range, I took a pic of a .375 Ruger next to a 30-06 sprgfld.    Josh
« Last Edit: April 09, 2012, 12:51:50 pm by Gun Doc »

Offline cracker

Re: my new varmint rifle
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2012, 10:54:54 pm »
Gorgeous rifle, stock is absolutely beautiful. Grampa must be a very talented guy. Lucky you, I be envious. Ron
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2012, 11:25:26 pm »
I love it, looks like Pops and Grandpa are both very talented. That is a Family Heirloom.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2012, 12:00:52 am »
Josh you are a blessed man. Your grandpa must be very talented. That stock is amazing!! I hope it has a muzzle break!!

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline Josh B

« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2012, 12:44:04 am »
Yes, I am a lucky man! For a fact I am! Grandpa turned 87 last pearl harbor day and has Parkinson's disease so bad that he can barely drink his morning coffee .  Somehow he still manages to hand checker every stock he makes.  It is amazing to watch.  And his work?  Absolutely superb !  I might have a slightly biased opinion of course, but his work is outstanding none the less.  Now ,  if I can only save enough money to go after that Kodiak.  Thanks again,  Josh

Offline bubby

« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2012, 02:38:57 am »
I dont think your biased in the least Josh, look's like craftsmanship is a family trait, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline Wolf Watcher

« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2012, 08:44:42 am »
I have made several gun stocks myself, so I know how much time and work goes into making one!  This one is outstanding!  A/Ho Joe
Get Close---Shoot Straight

Offline Adam

« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2012, 09:53:45 am »
Wow! That's great craftsmanship right there!  And a .375 should take care of about any varmint you ever come across!

Offline Buckeye Guy

« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2012, 03:58:44 pm »
That my freind is good stuff !!!!
Guy
Guy Dasher
The Marshall Primitive Archery Rendezvous
Primitive Archery Society
Having  fun
To God be the glory !

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2012, 05:49:54 pm »
Pity they couldn't find a piece of wood with decent, straight grain.  Bummer, man!   >:D  Just how does one go about tillering a gun stock?!?!

What a fine gift for them to give you.  There won't be a day go by that your valuation of that gun won't go up.  What is the inlay in the scotk?  Can you post a close up photo of it?

By the way, that's a great prairie dog round.  When the pea shooters have scared all the doggies down the hole, you get to keep shooting....just aim lower and excavate 'em!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Ifrit617

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2012, 07:10:43 pm »
Incredible gun and stock... Absolutely gorgeous...  If ya ever really have a PD problem you can now vaporize them to kingdom come..  >:D >:D >:D

Jon

Offline ErictheViking

« Reply #11 on: April 09, 2012, 07:57:02 pm »
gorgeous gun. definately a hand-me-down gun through generations.
"He that but looketh on a plate of ham and eggs to lust after it hath already committed breakfast with it in his heart"  C.S. Lewis

Offline Josh B

« Reply #12 on: April 10, 2012, 03:35:45 am »
Thanks fellas!  I will certainly pass on your stamps of approval to my Grandpa . 

Bubby, I do have some fine craftsmen in my family.  I hope to improve enough to be counted among them someday.

JW,  I'll try to get some better pics when I get home again.  The inlay is burled birdseye maple bordered with ebony.  Grandpa has a lot of exhibition grade walnut but decided that this was about as much figure as he dared use on this rifle.  I knew he was up to something when he came over and rummaged around in my Osage scraps.  Usually , I'm digging through his walnut scraps.  He found a nice straight grained piece and made a 3/4" dowel out of it so he could reinforce the wrist of the stock.  Even though the grain is straight through the wrist area, he wasn't taking any chances.  Here is some zoomed in pics, but I don't think they will show much detail.    Josh