Author Topic: Fence Post bow project...Resurrected!!  (Read 16609 times)

Offline Will H

Re: Fence Post bow project...Resurrected!!
« Reply #45 on: February 02, 2013, 09:47:09 pm »
I know what you mean man, just go slow. It looks like your on the right track. I built one similar a while back and put new Osage for the handle and tips. Here's a link if you want to check it out http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,25735.30.html
And yeah I'm workin on an Osage/Yew. I got it floor tillered this afternoon. Should have it shootin before to long... Got a lot of irons in the fire though... Anyway, I'm real excited to see how yours turns out!  :)
Proud Member of Twin Oaks Bowhunters
           Clarksville, Tennessee

"Middle Tennessee is the place to be"

Offline IdahoMatt

« Reply #46 on: February 02, 2013, 10:19:08 pm »
Will h. Are you a luthier.  That looked like a nice fiddle back maple back

Offline sleek

« Reply #47 on: February 03, 2013, 10:36:56 am »
Gard darnit, you made me go split a perfectly good fence post. Now I wish I hadnt, its a really big lazy "S" when the billits are put together. Good luck bud, watching this one. 
Tread softly and carry a bent stick.

Dont seek your happiness through the approval of others

Offline k-hat

« Reply #48 on: February 07, 2013, 09:27:21 am »
Well i've done a little work on her and she's coming along nicely.  Had to drop the weight quite a bit to get some stress of the handle area and get the fades a bit fadier.  Anyhow, here she is at 20".  Looks like i'll hit at about 40# with her.  She has a little deflex area on the right that makes the tiller look off, but i think i do need to take a little off the 6" inside of that deflex to get it bending just a touch more (that area is slightly reflexed):

Right now she has 26" of limb, not all of it working.  I don't think i oughta pike her to get weight up.  It's tempting but I hate to push a bow like this.  Proly just oughta let'r be what she'll be ;)

Opinions and critique are welcome/expected :)

Offline k-hat

« Reply #49 on: February 07, 2013, 09:28:25 am »
I've got some string alignment to work on, so i may just try to remove that deflex kink while i'm at it.  There's no knot there or anything.

Offline Will H

« Reply #50 on: February 07, 2013, 09:38:24 am »
Lookin good man :)
           Clarksville, Tennessee

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #51 on: February 07, 2013, 10:29:02 am »
Looking real good,maybe a little more bend a few inches out from the right fad to close to mid limb.Looks nice so far. :) :) Will got another fence post finished tillered yesterday evening,they make some mighty fine bows.Dense and well seasoned, just the way I like wood to be. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline k-hat

« Reply #52 on: February 07, 2013, 10:44:41 am »
Thanks Will and Pappy.  I hope to have her shooting this weekend.  I see what you're talking about.  I know it's moving, but hard to tell if it's bending smoothly in that area.  I'll stare at the pics a while before i proceed.

Even at 40# i expect her to be a sweet shooter, esp with those lever-ish tips.  I think she'll have good cast for the weight.  I was hoping to make her my TG trade bow, but she's gonna be WAY too underweight for that.  Maybe i'll get a light weight pulling recipient for the PA trade and send'r that way ;), otherwise i guess i'll HAVE to keep her >:D

Offline Will H

« Reply #53 on: February 07, 2013, 12:06:27 pm »
I agree that it should shoot good, the one I'm workin on has a similar profile. I took some weight off her yesterday, got it down to 45 @ 27. Just where I like em ;) those posts sure make a good dense durable hunting bow ;) Buried Gold I tell ya!!!
           Clarksville, Tennessee

Offline k-hat

« Reply #54 on: February 10, 2013, 06:36:04 pm »
Well she's nearing completion.  Time to do some finish work.  I may yet touch up the tiller, may even recurve the tips a touch.  She really zings my light arrows, and the heavies go with some serious punch.  Came in right around 40#@28".  Here she is now:

Offline Will H

« Reply #55 on: February 10, 2013, 06:55:55 pm »
That bottom limb is lookin kinda hingy... I think I would push some bend back into the fades a bit more. All in all I think it's great you got that thing shootin :) you could always flip the tips after you work on the tiller a bit to bring the weight up.
           Clarksville, Tennessee

Offline k-hat

« Reply #56 on: February 10, 2013, 07:12:09 pm »
yeah that spot has given me fits.  There's a deflex kink right there where it looks hingy.  I verified and reverified the thickness with calipers to be sure it wasn't a thin spot.  It actually looks better from the other side.  The fades are bending more than they look due to the reflex out of the handle.  I may push some more bend into them though since the splice is holding up fine.  That was my primary concern.

Take a look at the other pics and then the full draw and tell me if you still feel the same about it.  I'm getn kinda crosseyed lookin at it so much :o.

thanks for the input Will.

Offline Knapper

• David Atnip
« Reply #57 on: February 10, 2013, 07:19:05 pm »
Awesome! Whoed a thunkit! Some of you guys could make a silk purse out of a sows ear :o
Knapper
Ad Dare Servire
PM104250

Offline Will H

« Reply #58 on: February 10, 2013, 07:23:34 pm »
Yeah I see what ur talkin bout. Id say if it hasn't taken set in that area you'll probably be fine. Congrats on makin that post shoot man! That sure is awesome brotha :)
           Clarksville, Tennessee

Offline Arrowind

« Reply #59 on: February 10, 2013, 07:26:46 pm »
Cooooooooool!   Nice job dude!
Talking trees. What do trees have to talk about, hmm... except the consistency of squirrel droppings?