Author Topic: how to make your string? (flemishing???)  (Read 1647 times)

Offline onidog

how to make your string? (flemishing???)
« on: April 06, 2012, 09:15:38 pm »
 so I don't have to buy one again and so I know how to make them for next time is there an instructional somewhere so i can learn to make them? and what products i will need to make them?
-cody

Offline osage outlaw

Re: how to make your string? (flemishing???)
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2012, 09:26:39 pm »
there is a good video called Doin the Twist that covers all different types of strings.  There are some videos on youtube also. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Weylin

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2012, 09:41:01 pm »
poorfolkbows has a good walkthrough of it too. that's how I relearned it. It shows you how to make a nice simple jig too.

Offline Adam

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2012, 09:43:23 pm »
I've always made mine similar to how it was described in the last issue of PA (April/May 2012).  By the way, I think that article was extremely well written.  I've tried to describe to people how to make a Flemish twist and usually fail miserably, but this author nailed it.  I've never tried using a jig.

UserNameTaken

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2012, 10:50:49 pm »
The best instructions that I've found are in a book called "The Bow Builders Book: European Bow Building From The Stone Age To Today". It gives good instructions for people who think jigs are ridiculous--which I do.

Endless strings are also easy to make, and are probably superior to the flemmish twist. One of the volumes of the Bowyers Bible has a pretty decent tutorial on how to make those.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2012, 10:54:00 pm »
Search flemish string jig and you will find a lot of info on them here on PA.
There is also a really good tutorial here. http://poorfolkbows.com/flemish1.htm
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2012, 10:56:54 pm »
Search youtube for ""making a flemish bowstring" and choose the videos by RB Settergren. They are excellent videos.

Offline TRACY

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2012, 11:23:07 pm »
there is a good video called Doin the Twist that covers all different types of strings.  There are some videos on youtube also.

Excellent tutorial DVD
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Dictionary

« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2012, 12:29:37 am »
i take 12 stands of b50. begin reverse twisting the 2 individual 6 strands together till i make a loop. Then i reverse twist down a bit until the loose ends run out. Then go to the other end of the 12 strands and reverse twist enough length to be able to make a bowyers knot. Then just twist the string a couple of times. Takes about 10 minutes. I made a thread like this many months ago and was astonished to realize how easy it was.
"I started developing an eye for those smooth curves as a young man.  Now that my hair is greying and my middle spreading I make bows instead."

-JW_Halverson