Author Topic: Glue tests  (Read 1547 times)

Offline PatM

Glue tests
« on: April 06, 2012, 11:16:46 am »
Here's an interesting link to some glue tests that I foiund while researching a type of liquid hide glue that I've just become aware of.
http://www.oldbrownglue.com/pdf/HowStrongisYourGlue_FWW.pdf

Offline osage outlaw

Re: Glue tests
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2012, 11:55:49 am »
So the toughest glue on planet earth was the weakest.

Thanks for the link.  I'll have to show this to the wife.  I had her pick me up some TB3 and she wanted to get me some cheap wood glue.  She wanted to know what the difference was.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline RobWiden

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2012, 01:22:25 pm »
    That's a good article for most people's applications, but I'd like to see it expanded to include flexing wood as in a bow. This may sound nitpicking, but I think it could make a big difference.
If I knew what I was doing, I'd probably be bored with it, and I wouldn't be here.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2012, 01:41:27 pm »
Rob, I was thinking the same thing. A flexing joint is way different than a static joint. Some glues will easily flex with the joint and maintain their hold but others may not.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline PatM

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2012, 02:52:58 pm »
I disagree. A good glue joint is a good glue joint.  This test really just confirms what bowmakers already know by practical testing.

Offline kleinpm

« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2012, 10:10:30 pm »
I also make bamboo fly rods. All of them were glued with gorilla glue and they are all working as well today as they did the day I finished them. I am fairly certain that my rods bend more than my bows.

The point being, ALL the glues are plenty strong for just about anything we are going to use them for.

Patrick

Offline Jim Davis

• Reparrows
    • Reparrows
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2012, 01:02:56 am »
I use and recommend Titebond II or III for my Reparrows. I have tried Gorilla Glue with poor results. Quick setting epoxy works, but is too much trouble and isn't any better.

Jim Davis
Jim Davis

Kentucky--formerly Maine