Author Topic: Bow wood question  (Read 1707 times)

Offline Spitch

Bow wood question
« on: April 06, 2012, 05:25:39 pm »
I was thinking of making a Holmegaard bow and trying to come up with a good wood (native/local) to use. I was out and about when I found some straight-as-a-pole Scrub Oak (some 30 ft or more to boot!)

Do ya'll think that it would make a good bow?

Thank you :D
Use what you have

young indian12

Re: Bow wood question
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2012, 05:41:48 pm »
I love holmegarrd bows!! >:D I have never used scrub oak for one, but you might as well give it a shot. I would expect that it would, since red oak is a good choice for that particular style. As it says in your little template, "Use what you have."

Breven

Offline Badger

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2012, 05:56:34 pm »
  Not positive but I think scrub oak and live oak may be the same. Live oak is extremely hard and heavy and makes excellent bows.

Offline bubby

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2012, 06:22:50 pm »
  Not positive but I think scrub oak and live oak may be the same. Live oak is extremely hard and heavy and makes excellent bows.
they aren't the same but all the oaks make a good bow, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline okie64

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2012, 07:17:56 pm »
Scrub oak is usually post or blackjack oaks. Theyre called scrub oaks because the most common place to find a bunch of them is in an abandoned field. Post oaks are in the white oak family and blackjacks are in the red oak family. Never tried either one but they should make a good bow. Give it a shot and let us know how it turns out.

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2012, 08:28:13 pm »
Where do you live?
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline Spitch

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2012, 10:51:03 pm »
Young indian12;  thank you been living the templat :'(e for as long as I can remember.

Badger; good thought but we have Live oak out here too and it is definitely not the same... Diameter was too small, about 6-8".... The Live Oaks (at least the ones five miles down the road) of that height have a much larger diameter.

Bubby; thanks, bub

Oakie64; didn't know there were two types. Everyone just called that type of oak scrub... And it looks like I will try it.

Bryce; Anza, Southern California
Use what you have

Offline Bryce

• Global Moderator
  • Pacific Ghost Longbows
« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2012, 02:44:59 am »
Go grab some juniper.
Clatskanie, Oregon

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2012, 12:30:29 pm »
Live oaks stay green all year. They shed some leaves, but don't lose them all....at least not down here in the southern US. I have 2 very large live oaks I am going to harvest some branches from soon. I'll let you know how they work out.
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA