Author Topic: built up handles for bendy handle bows  (Read 8952 times)

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
built up handles for bendy handle bows
« on: April 07, 2012, 11:19:23 am »
I have a couple of questions some of you might be able to answer. I have been studying my alternatives since the handle popped off my trade bow (hbi) the other day. I have decided to shorten the bow some, bring in the fades closer to the handle for a bendy handle style and build up the handle with rawhide or leather. I ran across an interesting build a long on another site where someone built up layers of super glued leather that when sanded down looked like wood. My question is, have any of you tried that, and if so, does the super glue make the leather so hard and brittle I'll have the same problem as wood or will it keep enough flexibility to bend with the handle? I noticed Gordon building up his handles some with rawhide then wrapping it with fishing line. That may work since I'm not trying to make a huge handle. I feel like I should build it up some for comfort's sake. You know how little ipe is needed for a bow so the handle area is mighty thin. I have been worrying about this for a couple of weeks, now. I guess I could have built another bow, by now. I was so happy with the way the glue up and tiller went on this one, I hated to start over.
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: built up handles for bendy handle bows
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2012, 11:35:30 am »
I use leather and super glue in handles (and tip overlays) quite often. I like my bows bending to or through the handle and the leather handle has enough give to allow it. The super glue only penetrates a small amount, basically just sealing the leather but it hardens enough to make shaping the leather easy.
  Here are a few pics of a leather handle(and tip overlays) on an osage pole(2" diameter) bow I made for this years TG Trade Bow.

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #2 on: April 07, 2012, 11:45:54 am »
Thanks, Pat. PM sent.
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Offline crooketarrow

« Reply #3 on: April 07, 2012, 12:13:10 pm »
   I've never built up a bendy handle bow. But I have a few stiff handle bows. I've used super glue but TB's better no sure if it hardens leather I don't know. I always but a leather handle over it and never taken any back off.
  I'd use sinew before fishing line cover with a leather handle.
DEAD IS DEAD NO MATTER HOW FAST YOUR ARROW GETS THERE
20 YEARS OF DOING 20 YEARS OF LEARNING 20 YEARS OF TEACHING

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2012, 12:20:44 pm »
The complete build along on this TG Trade Bow can be found here...
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,29964.0.html

...with the handle build along starting on page 5.

Here is the finished bow...

The tip overlays are done basically the same...

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2012, 12:24:31 pm »
Tips, too? Does the leather finish hard enough for fast flight?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2012, 12:35:09 pm »
I don't use FF string so I really couldn't say. It gets pretty hard on the surface though.
  When I coat leather with super glue I'll sand it smooth after the glue dries and add another layer of super glue, let it dry and sand again. Sometimes I have to do this 3 or 4 time to get the smoothness I want. These multiable layers of super glue make it pretty hard.

blackhawk

« Reply #7 on: April 07, 2012, 12:40:08 pm »
i use dr scholls shoe insoles(the thick 1/4" ones) and super glue,and wrap with hemp or leather. i like the feel underneath,and overtime they comform to your grip(much like they do with your feet),and have a lil squishy give when at full draw

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #8 on: April 07, 2012, 12:54:41 pm »
I have always used B-50 Dacron on my all wood bows. I was under the impression that fastflight put too much stress on the wood and was designed for glass laminated bows. Then I noticed many traditional bowyers use it on their self bows if the tips are properly prepared. Is there a reason you don't use it, Pat?

Blackhawk...I assume you mean leather insoles kinda like Pat's post above and not the foam rubber ones??

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2012, 01:18:31 pm »
FF is fine to use on selfbows and wood backed bows. I have an osage bow that Dano gave me with FF string and no tip overlay. I have heard that FF is less detrimental to a wood bow than a glass bow because the wood bow has a little give to it where a glass bow is rigid and the FF string can abrade the glass if not protected with an overlay. Some of the older glass bows shouldn't use FF at all. Here is a pic of the bow Dano made for me with the FF string...

I prefer a bulbous handle on my bows. Genereally the belly side of the handle has enough wood to shape into a comfortable handle. In this case the back of the handle is relatively flat and can be uncomfortable to grip and shoot. I started adding a back overlay of leather just to fill out the back of the handle so it fits my hand better and is more comfortable. Here Is an example...

here it is after glueing down but before shaping...

This pic shows the leather overlay added and shaped and a finished habdle with the leather babkn overlay under rattan handle wrap.

blackhawk

« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2012, 02:54:34 pm »
Nope..i do use the thick(1/4") gel foam ones...IM GELLIN..lol :laugh:

Ill put one over the back and belly of the handle,then wrap. Sometimes ill stack two on top over the back of the handle to fill it out more. And when you wrap it with whatever it rounds off and conforms anatomically to your hand overtime. Plus its comfy in your hand and helps reduce the lil thud of a bendy. If it feels good on your feet itll feel good on your hands too...lol ;)

blackhawk

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2012, 03:13:20 pm »
Heres one with black leather wrap around em

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2012, 03:57:39 pm »
I haven't tried a leather built up handle yet.  I use cork.

I sent that bow out before putting a wrap on, but the last wrap I put over cork was a cord wrap.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline turtle

• PA1007207
« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2012, 04:24:21 pm »
I have built up bendy handles with leather. I use gel type super glue for first layer then i use barge cement for the rest untill i get the thickness i want. After that i cut it to rough shape i want with a sharp blade. After that i coat with thin super glue and rasp to final shape. Then another coat of thin super glue and sand smooth. After that i just wrap the same as if it was all wood.
Steve Bennett

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2012, 04:48:01 pm »
Thanks for all the feedback, guys. I'll let all this digest and make a final decision. I'll put up some pics when I proceed. Thanks!!