Author Topic: Hickory draw weight recommendations  (Read 3784 times)

Offline Slackbunny

Hickory draw weight recommendations
« on: April 06, 2012, 12:28:38 am »
So I'm building a hickory board bow. It is 66" long, 1 3/4"wide. It is a quality board with good straight grains. It will have a 28" draw. My question is what kind of draw weight is reasonable for a typical hickory board bow?

Offline blackpanem

Re: Hickory draw weight recommendations
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2012, 01:58:15 am »
well most bows are between 30 and 45 pounds but if you plan on hunting with it i would say to shoot for 60 or higher

Offline Traxx

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2012, 02:52:06 am »
What draw weight is personally reasonable for you?
As to needing 60 lbs or higher for hunting,i cant dissagree more.Depends on what your hunting and your personal limitations.

Offline k-hat

« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2012, 10:21:36 am »
As far as hunting goes, check your state laws for minimum selfbow poundage.  Some don't have one, some have as low as 45#.  I can't say from personal experience, but a lot of the pros in TBB and round here seem to think 45# is enough to take a deer at within 20 yard range (good shot placement of course!!).  I personally would go heavier.

As far as hickory's ability goes, I'm sure it can handle more draw weight than you can ;)  I built a 55# hickory board bow (with a cut-in shelf) a year ago that i gave away and it was a sweet shooter.  Went full width out to about midlimb then tapered to 1/2" tips, it was either 64 or 66" ttt.  A nice medium to dark brown wood for riser and tip overlays makes her look real perty too :D

Good luck and have fun with it, and post'r up her for us to drool  ;D

Offline lesken2011

• Kenny
« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2012, 10:28:18 am »
K-hat is right. Hickory can provide some heavy weight bows. It depends on what you are trying to accomplish. I would keep it lighter for a target bow and somewhat heavier for a hunting bow. IMHO. The design you choose is important too. I had a hickory molle turn out well and am working on a one now that is similar to the one K-hat described. Hickory seems to respond well to both styles. After working with red oak for a while, hickory was a real pleasant change. It is much more forgiving.
For by grace you have been saved through faith, and that not of yourselves; it is the gift of God, not of works, lest anyone should boast.

Ephesians 2:8-9

Kenny from Mississippi, USA

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2012, 10:45:25 am »
You could easily build a 100# hickory bow if that is what you want. You will enjoy your bow more if you build it to a weight that you are more comfortable shooting.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline blackpanem

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2012, 12:32:00 pm »
traxx, well i said 60 pounds because it is enough to take any game in north america.  not to mention it would poke a pretty mean hole in a deer

Offline Slackbunny

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2012, 07:35:42 pm »
Well anything up to around 80 pounds is reasonable for me to pull, but that is my upper limit.  The law around here is 45 lbs for big game.

I guess I should have been more specific with my question. I'm more interested in what the limitations of a hickory board bow are. I know that you normally cant go as heavy with a board bow as you do with a stave bow. I'd just like to avoid unnessecary set and other problems by having a ballpark upper weight limit.

Offline Knapper

• David Atnip
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2012, 11:16:30 pm »
I love to use hickory boards. Have made some in the 45 to55 # range. They do mine have taken some set but shoot rather well. The question is ! Is set a bad thing??? If the bow performs well !
Ad Dare Servire
PM104250

Offline k-hat

« Reply #9 on: April 07, 2012, 09:26:22 am »
My answer's the same for hickory boards or staves ;)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: April 07, 2012, 09:43:35 am »
If a bow shoots well, set is not a bad thing. The bow will shoot better with less set or no set but as long as it flings an arrow, a bow is doing what it was made to do.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Newindian

« Reply #11 on: April 07, 2012, 12:58:02 pm »
There is a story in the hunting section of a black bear kill made with a 40# bow, you really don't need that much for hunting, 50# sould be a good target.
I like free stuff.

Offline Traxx

« Reply #12 on: April 07, 2012, 04:25:15 pm »
 Is set a bad thing??? If the bow performs well.
Not in my oppinion.In fact,before recent archery publications and internet,it was considered a positive attribute by many.Some are starting to realize and appreciate these same qualities and are re evaluating their priorities in a hunting bow.Even the F/G guys are utilizeing and enjoying the design benefits.