Author Topic: New set of target arrows  (Read 5094 times)

Offline osage outlaw

New set of target arrows
« on: April 05, 2012, 11:52:24 pm »
I just finished a set of bamboo target arrows for the Classic.  I'm still trying to figure out this arrow making stuff.  Straightening seemed a lot easier this time.  I tried a couple of new things on these.  I scraped the rind off the shafts.  I liked how they looked afterwards.  The grain lines make them look like wood arrows.  I sealed them with spray poly.  I also used some JB weld on the duplex nail points to make a smoother transition to the shaft.  I died some of the feathers with kool-aid.  For some reason I couldn't get the red feather in the same position on each one.  I would put it in my fletching jig and line it up, but for some reason when I was done with the arrow, the red one wouldn't be in the right spot.  I'll pay more attention next time  ::)  I tried hard to shape and smooth the nocks.  The arrows are spined 50-55 lbs and I matched the weight on all of them to within 40 grains.  I am very proud of how these arrows turned out.  The only thing I'm not happy with is the cock feather problem.

I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
Re: New set of target arrows
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2012, 12:32:41 am »
They Look Good! Did you wrap behind the point or is it painted? i like the Kool-Aid trick too.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2012, 12:53:51 am »
The tips are wrapped with heavy duty coat thread and soaked in superglue 2 times. 

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #3 on: April 06, 2012, 01:23:05 am »
Clint those look like they will fly true.

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline gudspelr

« Reply #4 on: April 06, 2012, 03:10:14 am »
Cool arrows-what do you use to glue your fletching on?  I have some fletch tape left from fletching some aluminums that I was thinking about trying on my first attempt at bamboo arrows.  Never done any natural material arrows yet-looking forward to it.  Thanks for posting the pictures.

Jeremy

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #5 on: April 06, 2012, 03:37:05 am »
Yes Sir Outlaw!

They Sure do look MIGHTY FINE!!!

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #6 on: April 06, 2012, 06:44:30 am »
Those are fine looking arrows!  It looks like you really took your time and the good workmanship shows.  How do you straighten your bamboo?  I have been making some lately with cane and have had good luck alternating between a flat glass stove top and the kitchen counter.  I have heated and bent and rolled them till they look straight and roll smoothly....  only problem I have encountered is my wife nagging at me to "take all that bow junk back to the shop". 
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline Scowler

« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2012, 09:31:16 am »
Nice looking arrows.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2012, 09:55:13 am »
Very nice Clint. Looks like you are now ready for some shooting at the Classic.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2012, 10:29:15 am »
Good looking set of arrows,I would hate to see you loose some of them in the woods at the Classic and me happen to find them. >:D ;)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline sadiejane

« Reply #10 on: April 06, 2012, 11:08:42 am »
Good looking set of arrows,I would hate to see you loose some of them in the woods at the Classic and me happen to find them. >:D ;)
   Pappy
>:D >:D

nice arrows
wild women don't get the blues

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #11 on: April 06, 2012, 11:30:27 am »
gudspelr:  I used some fletching glue that I got in a trade.  It's in a silver tube, platinum something or other.  I can't remember without looking at it.

hrhodes:  I have been using fuel can burners that they use to heat food at a catered lunch.  They were throwing them away at work after a fancy lunch so I took them all home.  They produce a nice sized flame about the size of my thumb.  And I here the exact same thing from my wife. 

Pappy:  As long as you are the one that finds them, I'd be OK with that  :)

And thanks everyone else for the nice comments. 

Offline bowtarist

• Primitive Archer Subscription Number PM103651
« Reply #12 on: April 06, 2012, 12:15:15 pm »
Good looking arrows Outlaw.  Hope to see em in person @ the classic. dpg
(:::.)    Osage music played daily. :)

Offline PAHunter

• "If your not having fun, what's the point?" - Khan
    • Victory Before Combat (My YouTube Page)
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2012, 12:31:35 pm »
They look fantastic!  Do you have any suggestions for scrapping the rind off the shafts?  I tried that once and it was really difficult.  thanks!
Thanks,
Rob - Wexford, PA

"Give me six hours to chop down a tree and I will spend the first four sharpening the axe". - Abe Lincoln

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2012, 01:14:15 pm »
I used a utility knife with a new blade.  It took a while to get them done.  I found my fletching sticks a lot better to a scraped and poly coated shaft.