Author Topic: Wood characteristics sticky thread or section on PA?  (Read 1572 times)

Offline Carson (CMB)

Wood characteristics sticky thread or section on PA?
« on: April 05, 2012, 02:06:43 pm »
Half-eye's bow tech thread/topic idea got me thinking that a similar concept used for getting general wood characteristics into one place would be a great use of the knowledge and information the collective primitive archer community holds. The content would be a bit more subjective.  My thoughts on format are that it would work best as a section under Main Discussion Area, just as bows or arrows or warbows are sections (is that the right term?).  This would allow each species of wood to be a single topic (thread) in the Wood Characteristics section.    The title/subject of each topic would be the common name/s and scientific name of the species.  Then all replies could provide personal experiences, specific gravity, other stats, general thoughts and debate about seasoning, heat, steam, etc.  The topic/thread for say osage, or yew would be quite long and cluttered, but what this wood characteristics section could really serve as is a great way to start compiling information on the oft overlooked bow woods.  I am thinking of content similar to Baker's list of wood characteristics by species in the TBB vol 4, only more extensive and more of a dialogue and discussion. 

What do you all think? 

"The bow is the old first lyre,
the mono chord, the initial rune of fine art
The humanities grew out from archery as a flower from a seed
No sooner did the soft, sweet note of the bow-string charm the ear of genius than music was born, and from music came poetry and painting and..." Maurice Thompso

Offline Badger

Re: Wood characteristics sticky thread or section on PA?
« Reply #1 on: April 05, 2012, 05:38:46 pm »
Maybe you could build a simple line chart with all the characteristics we are concerned with. Some things would be subjective while others measurable. Subjective items simply rate from 1 to 5 and measurable items such as Sg just list.

example, best being 5 worst being 1

Elm wood

SG   70,    elasticity  4, tension strength 3, compression strength 3,  bendability with steam 4 or dry heat 3, proneness to chysal 4, historisis 4, workability 4, Etc, etc,

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
Re: Wood characteristics sticky thread or section on PA?
« Reply #2 on: April 05, 2012, 08:22:42 pm »
Well, I dunno.  Now that the "mass principle" has been developed, we all should know that ANY wood can be made into a bow.  It doesn't really matter what the specs of the wood are anymore or what the physical properties are.

What matters now is the moisture content and the soundness of the wood.  Other properties worth knowing might be how well it bends with dry heat or steam, how well it resists checking and warping when drying, what is the best glue(s) to use, how well it reacts to heat treating or "tempering", if it can be burnished easily, etc.

I would rather see a list that would be appealing to woodworkers and not engineers.  We are making art, not architecture, IMO. ;)
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr