Author Topic: fletching not sticking  (Read 2242 times)

Offline Prarie Bowyer

fletching not sticking
« on: March 31, 2012, 03:28:40 pm »
so one of my first rounds of arrows the fletchign is coming off.  I used gorilla super glue to put them in place then wrapped the tips with synthetic sinew and TB3.  Aftera couple of shots they start peeling away.

I'm thining about the process I used.  I straightened the shafts.  Sanded the nodes.  Restraightened.  Coated in Danish oil and dipped the ends.  Then cut the self nocks.  Then glued the feathers. 

I'm thinking the Danish Oil inhibits the glue from sticking.  I also shelac the shafts... so possibly it's the shelac that is coming off?

Next round I I'll use TB3 for arrow fixing and lace them down also.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: fletching not sticking
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2012, 04:53:01 pm »
I think you are right about the oil. Try another finish that hardens like Tru-Oil or poly.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2012, 06:03:44 pm »
You can get a can of clear poly spray from wallyworld for about a dollar. That is what I use. I also use duco cement to fletch.
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

gutpile

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2012, 03:42:23 pm »
if you are using cane there is no need to finish the shaft..it has a natural water proofing rine...which should be sufficent..I never seal my cane..gut

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2012, 05:43:34 am »
I do like Gutpile -   no sealer on cane shafts.  I fletch turkey feathers and use locktite superglue - the liquid not that doggone gel!  I have had lots better luck since I started wrapping the feathers front and rear and barber poling them with thread and topping the wrap off with more super glue.  Cane shafts are my favorites.
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline Stefan

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2012, 11:55:15 am »
I know from experience that danish oil prevents the glue from adhering good. If you coat the shafts with danish oil and have the time to wait a week or two before fletching it gets better. I have no experience with shellac, I dont get why you should seal a shaft twice...

I use saunders glue and always put a drop of glue on the front and back of the fletching, then I wrap fletching thread around the front and sometimes I wrap the entire fletching

greeting

stefan
Iron rusts from disuse, water loses its purity from stagnation... even so does inaction sap the vigor of the mind.

Leonardo