Author Topic: Tip wrap question  (Read 2757 times)

Offline osage outlaw

Tip wrap question
« on: March 29, 2012, 05:06:04 pm »
I like to wrap the tips of my bamboo arrows right behind the nail point with heavy duty thread.  I wrap them like I am serving a bow string.  I have used epoxy to soak the thread and protect it.  It worked well, but didn't look to good.  It dried lumpy and I had to sand the high areas.  My question is, would superglue hold up good enough to protect the thread?  Maybe two layers of superglue?  I don't want to be shooting them and the thread starts unwinding. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline sadiejane

Re: Tip wrap question
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2012, 05:08:34 pm »
i use duco cement-seems to hold up well.
wild women don't get the blues

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2012, 05:16:19 pm »
Clint, I use silk thread and super glue all the time. I saturate the silk wrap, let it dry and sand it smooth with real fine sandpaper. If it is still a little lumpy or fibers show up loose I give it another coat of super glue, let it dry and sand it smooth. I assume it will work the same on other threads. The more the glue saturates the wrap the better. If done correctly it is more like a band around the shaft instead of a wrap. I do the same with self nocks and at least the forward end of the fletching.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline rmcpb

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2012, 08:37:03 pm »
I often use fletching glue on some wraps. Just another option.
Cheers
Rob.

Blue Mountains, NSW.

Its OK to make a mistake. Just try not to make the same one twice...........

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2012, 09:14:38 pm »
Thanks for the advice.  I just didn't know how tough the superglue would be.  I have a tendancy to miss the soft foamy target and hit rocks and trees.  The epoxy held up great, it just looked rough.  I'll give the superglue a test and see how it works.  I already have them wrapped in front of the nocks.  I'll wrap them in front of the feathers once I get them on. 

Pat, how tough is that silk thread?  The stuff I'm using is really strong.  I think it is outdoor coat thread or something.  I have used it as serving before.

Offline artcher1

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2012, 09:26:42 pm »
Thread you're using is about as tough as you can get Outlaw. Try using 30 min epoxy and lay it out with heat until it starts to run. You can then wipe it off (it has completely saturated the thread at this point) or mound it up. Super glue woks best with a cotton/poly blend instead of all polyester. Jean thread, which is a blend,  works great with superglue.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2012, 01:06:01 am »
Clint, I've had to cut the silk/super glue band off to repair the arrow. It is tougher than the arrow is.
 I shot a switch cane arrow Art gave me into a rock and split the hardwood foreshaft lengthwise but didn't harm the wrap(whatever it was) at the joint of the shaft and foreshaft. I had to cut that wrap off add a new foreshaft and re-wraped it with silk set in super glue. I still shoot this arrow.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2012, 10:34:33 pm »
I went ahead and put two coats of superglue on the thread wrap.  I'll give it a shot and see how it holds up.  I can always rewrap them and use epoxy.  Thanks for the advice everyone.

I should be posting my set of arrows soon.  I just gave them a coat of poly.  Tomorrow I'll start fletching them.

Offline M-P

• PA731115
    • Traveling Surgery
« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2012, 04:55:26 pm »
Osage,  My own practice is pretty much as Pat B stated.   Silk wrap and 2 coats of superglue.   I use a piece of plastic bag to spread and smooth the superglue. I do a very  sanding is required to smooth the first coat and then apply the second.   If you can find silk ribbon the winding goes even faster.   Ron
"A man should make his own arrows."   Omaha proverb   

"There are three kinds of men. The one that learns by reading. The few who learn by observation. The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves."    Will Rogers

Offline BowEd

• BowEd
« Reply #9 on: April 03, 2012, 09:51:54 pm »
Osage....I'm surprised nobody has mentioned accelerator sprayed onto super glue which works great too.I can't seem to get any more silk thread so I use artificial sinew dewaxed for nock wraps.Works great.Had an arrow robin hooded once and only split to the end of the nock.They are very tough.Head and shoulders above 2 or 3 or 4 ton epoxy.That stuff turns amberish yellow over time gets kind of soft and gives it up.[Sometimes I think the right mixture of resin and hardener is'nt correct for it to get that way].The only epoxy I will use at this time is smooth on but that takes 24 hours to cure or heated to 150 degrees for 5 to 6 hours in a hot box.Super glue is right every time.On overlays too.Your nocks will be good.
BowEd
You got to stand for something or you'll fall for anything.
Ed