Author Topic: Tree ID, need some help.....(pics included)  (Read 2512 times)

TurtleCreek

Tree ID, need some help.....(pics included)
« on: April 03, 2012, 06:19:44 am »
  Here are some pics of a couple trees I found that I could not identify with my field book. Both are the same kind of tree and about the same diameter.  There were no leaves on the tree yet, just tiny buds where the leaves would be.  Any help identifying these would be a big help.

TurtleCreek

Re: Tree ID, need some help.....(pics included)
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2012, 06:37:49 am »
Is it hackberry?

Offline TRACY

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2012, 08:00:24 am »
Celtis occidentalis-hackberry. Good wood for making bows in my experience.

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

TurtleCreek

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2012, 08:13:41 am »
Thanks tracy... I cut one earlier today and will have to go back for the other.  They are the straightest, cleanest looking trees I located.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2012, 08:48:34 am »
Hackberry for sure.  That is what Pearl Drums is using in his build-a-long.  Supposed to be real easy to bend in curves.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2012, 05:13:29 pm »
You may wait a few weeks Ryan. Give the leaves plenty of time to pop so the bark comes off for you.
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

blackhawk

« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2012, 08:47:20 pm »
just cut come hackberry last weekend in ohio,and the leaves were only a half inch at the most yet,and the bark still peeled like butter. so once the buds open to leaves id say its safe to cut. the sap was up in the osage too.

TurtleCreek

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2012, 02:48:52 am »
  I already cut one of them because it was so straight and clean...  The second one I want to go back for because it's got a trunk section as nice as the first and about twice as long.  I stripped the bark off of the one I cut and had to do a little scraping to get the rest of the cambium off, but other than that, the back of the future bow is pristine.  Now it's just a waiting game until it seasons.  Pretty exciting to me as this is the first time I have cut my own trees for staves.