Author Topic: question about chasing a ring  (Read 1269 times)

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
question about chasing a ring
« on: April 08, 2012, 02:11:35 pm »
I am working on an osage bow I started chasing a ring yesterday and ended up leaving an extra ring on one of the limbs.  The handle is going to be rigid and the upper ring stops right in the middle of the non-bending handle. I just wanted to know if any of you have done this and if it would be okay since I have never done it before.  I have always chased to a single ring from one end to the other but this one had such a nice ring already on one limb I just couldn't bring myself to cut through it.   Thanks guys.  :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline gstoneberg

Re: question about chasing a ring
« Reply #1 on: April 08, 2012, 02:34:21 pm »
Yes, on a bow that doesn't have enough thickness for a handle I leave all the sapwood in the handle.  Often in that case I lose track of which ring the back was. Also, every spliced or takedown bow has different or interrupted growth rings. You might want to do a thread or string wrap for security.

George
« Last Edit: April 08, 2012, 02:37:28 pm by gstoneberg »
St Paul, TX

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2012, 03:07:22 pm »
Josh, as long as the overlap is not in a working portion of the limb you should be OK.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #3 on: April 08, 2012, 11:35:20 pm »
cool thanks guys. I thought it would be okay and now I know for sure.    :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2012, 12:02:08 am »
Yeah, you saw how well my little sinew backed yew paddle bow held out.  ;D
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Online Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2012, 11:07:11 am »
No problem,same as a splice would be. Don't do it ofter just cause but have done it before with no ill effect. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good