Author Topic: Sinew vs. bamboo?  (Read 3213 times)

Offline Newindian

Sinew vs. bamboo?
« on: April 01, 2012, 06:37:39 pm »
Ive done sinew backings befor and am thinking about doing a bamboo backing next. Although I have heard a lot of good things about both I don't know how they really compare. So just let me know some of the pros and cons of bamboo, and how well it dose next to sinew.
I like free stuff.

Offline Gordon

Re: Sinew vs. bamboo?
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2012, 07:15:41 pm »
Raw bamboo is as good a natural wood/fiber backing as you can get - but it does not compare to sinew.
Gordon

UserNameTaken

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 02:11:47 am »
I'm just a novice with poor tillering skills, but i think it might depend on the bows design. According to Tim Baker, sinew will make a bow sluggish if it's not highly reflexed (because it's twice as heavy as wood). You can read all about it on p.135 of the TBB, vol. 4.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 02:20:02 am »
Bamboo has very little stretch. That is why it over powers some woods. Sinew is very elastic. That is where it gets its zip. I think a sinew backing actually takes more stress off of the belly.
  UNT, you are right about bow design and sinew. Sinew works best when it is highly stressed. If a bow is too long for its draw length the physical weight of the sinew/hide glue will slow down the recovery of the limbs. Bamboo on the other hand will add performance to any length bow if the proper design is chosen.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Badger

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2012, 02:30:20 am »
  I agree with Pat, sinew is elastic and must stretch a lot to carry its own weight, otherwise it is just protecting the back. Both are probably about equal in the right applications. The fastest sinew backed bows are about the same as the fastest bamboo backed bows which are about the same as the fastest hickory backed bows. No magic materials just everything has its own best application.

UserNameTaken

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2012, 03:14:57 am »
That chapter in the TBB left me scratching my head when I first read it, because it seems to be a commonly held belief that adding sinew will increase the performance of your bow.

mikekeswick

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2012, 05:20:13 am »
It will if used correctly.
It won't if not used correctly.
Simple as that!
Here are a couple of 'rules' I employ for using sinew -  I would'nt use it on a bow longer than say 62 inches. The bow must be reflexed when unstrung. The shorter and more strained the bow the better sinew works.

Offline Newindian

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2012, 09:08:14 pm »
Thanks for the input, think I will go with sinew and be fairly generous with the reflex.
I like free stuff.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2012, 11:55:35 pm »
That chapter in the TBB left me scratching my head when I first read it, because it seems to be a commonly held belief that adding sinew will increase the performance of your bow.

With the right bow design, yes.  But try adding enough sinew to get any help with your cast on an English longbow some time!  hehehe   >:D
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.