Author Topic: Fur Silencers, and other string treatments  (Read 13463 times)

Offline Otoe Bow

• Mike Chase, Afghanistan
Fur Silencers, and other string treatments
« on: August 24, 2007, 12:39:20 am »
All: I have a few general questions.

How do you keep the beaver fur silencers in place when you un-brace your bow?  My string is of multiple strands of Dacron and the instructions called to insert one end between the strands and wrap around several times, then insert the tag end back into the strands.  When the string is under tension, it all stays in place.  But once that tension is relieved, it all falls apart.

Also, since I found out some of your tie flies, have you ever tried Zonker strips as silencers?

What's the traditional way of marking a a nocking point on a bow string.  A metal ring seems out of place, even if the string is modern.

Finally, what's a good instruction source on making those woven looking strings that I see on your bows?  I think you refer to them as Flemish strings.  Are they twisted like a triple strand rope is made (three stands twisted,  doubled, then twisted in the opposite direction to hold itself together)?

Thanks

Otoe

So far, I haven't found any Osage or knappable rock over here.  Embrace the suck

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: Fur Silencers, and other string treatments
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2007, 02:04:50 am »
If your string is waxed good, it wont untwist and let the silencer loose.   Most Flemish twist strings are two strand, but some are three.  It is twist away and wrap toward just like making a rope. Try using the search option to look for strings.  Most guys around here use a piece of string or dental floss tied around the string as a nocking point.  Wrap it a couple of times, then a drop of superglue will hold it in place just fine.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Online Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2007, 06:04:42 am »
What justin said,you are right brass knocks just don't look right.I have seen some people
tie the beaver ball at the top and bottom with a piece of thread,my strings are twisted pretty good so I don't usually have that problem. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

DBernier

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2007, 07:57:18 am »
I am assuming your string on the bow now is a straight one with no twists and that is why it falls apart when unstrung. If you do not make a Flemish string, get one from three Rivers and try it out.

Dick

deerstand

« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2007, 08:45:04 am »
i use tied nocks. for an authentic look use some of the fake sinew and tie alternating over hand nots to buils it up. first on one side of the string then the other. i have been shooting this type of tied nock for three years with no problems

Offline Otoe Bow

« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2007, 10:00:48 am »
All:  Outstanding advice.  Today's my day off but it looks like the lawn will be my priority effort.  There's rain in the forecast for this afternoon so I really can't put it off. 

I've got a 7 hour flight this weekend and I've already read PA from cover to cover.  What should I do?  I'll just dig it out to take with me and read it again.  Too bad they don't let you take knives and scrapers on the plane.  :'(

That does bring up another question.  How do you travel with your primitive bows and gear?  Most are too long to go in any kind of hard case that I've seen.

Otoe
So far, I haven't found any Osage or knappable rock over here.  Embrace the suck

deerstand

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2007, 10:27:02 am »
homemade , 6" pvc pipe with screw plud ends,   all the supplies can come from home depot, serves as a fishing rod tube as well.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2007, 10:29:45 am »
I would ship my bows before I'd check them as luggage on a plane. I don't trust the airlines. I use a 3", thin walled PVC pipe to ship bows.
 I have used rabbit zonkers but for arrow tracers(wrapped around the shaft at the back of the feathers) to help see the arrows in flight. They would probably work well for silencers but are a bit thin and they would probably lay flat when they got wet.
   Sounds like you are using a continuous loop string. Without the twists, the silencers wont stay put when the bow is unbraced. With a flemish twist string, they will stay in place.   Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2007, 11:54:15 am »
You can tie the silencers in place if you want.  Just tie a little piece of string around the entire string where the end of the silencer is tucked through the string.  Basically the same procedure as the nocking point.  When I get time, I will do a build along for the Flemish string jig and how to make a string.  It really is quite simple.  Maybe Greg should do it, he got plenty of string making practice before the Tennessee Classic.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Otoe Bow

« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2007, 05:03:25 pm »
I can't wait.  I think that's what makes this hobby so enjoyable.  Everytime you turn around, you "have" to build something else in order to build something else.  Love it.   :)

I've got some heavy waxed thread used to sew leather.  Do you think that will work for a string?

Thanks

Otoe

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2007, 05:58:42 pm »
I'm using beaver balls on one bow with a continuous loop string.Just tie the end on with dental floss and then loop it through and tie the other end too.Add a drop of super glue and it works,no problem.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2007, 06:38:31 pm »
I'm using beaver balls on one bow with a continuous loop string.Just tie the end on with dental floss and then loop it through and tie the other end too.Add a drop of super glue and it works,no problem.
                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                     Thought I saw that" beaverette "   :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o :o ;D...................bob                                     
« Last Edit: August 24, 2007, 06:40:04 pm by Kowechobe »

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2007, 04:46:57 pm »
You definetily can search the web for instructions for string and string jig instructions. I did and got some excellent plans.I use any type of fur I can get my hands on for silencers. Have been usung rabbit lately. skin em eat em then tan the hide for silencers and craft projects. Pm me and I will send ya the plans or see if I can direct ya towards the right site on the web.
  Good luck.
                nugget
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #13 on: August 25, 2007, 08:04:15 pm »
  A good source of fur I use is the Flea Market.Somebody is always selling a mink stole for about $5.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

woody

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2007, 04:23:37 pm »
Here's the link I used to make my first flemish string.  It worked for me.
http://www.geocities.com/salampsio/flemish1.htm