Author Topic: String Jig  (Read 1826 times)

Offline paleryder

String Jig
« on: April 02, 2012, 02:46:11 am »
Gents,

In the past, I've just made a string without a jig. I like the fully reverse-twisted string with one loop, like you see in the TBB vol. 2. I thought I'd try something different and I made a string jig. This one:

http://www.stickbow.com/stickbow/features/flemishstring/flemishstring.html

Anyone ever use it for a Flemish twist with two loops? I keep getting really high brace heights like about 8" or more. I know this isn't exactly high for recurves but it's way higher than what I use on my selfbows. I'm wondering if it was designed for recurve strings. Anyone else made strings using this jig, or one of same dimensions? Any different results? I found that by moving the length peg up by two inches, I lower the brace height by one inch. So, for my selfbows I can just move the peg up a few inches to get my desired brace height. I just wondered if I was doing something wrong.

I really like it because it's fast. I think I still prefer a fully reverse twisted string but this jig is handy for making quick strings. This and most people I know like two loops because they haven't tried anything else. Thanks.

Todd

Offline Weylin

Re: String Jig
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 02:49:27 am »
I made the jig from poorfolkbows. it was really simple and fast and the brace height seems to be right about on target for my longbows.

Offline paleryder

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 03:07:08 am »
Hmm. The dimensions are different. On the one I used, from the first row to the first pin on the side is 24" while on the Poorfolks it is 28". It is 3" from the side post to the 48" middle peg on mine and 2" on the Poorfolks. Let's see, if we make a strand for a 72" bow on each jig we get the following approximate length for the first strand:

1. Harris: 24 + 15+ 15 + 24= 78"
2. Poorfolks: 28 +14 +14 +28= 84"

Yes, we would have different brace heights.  :) The string length on the Poorfolks jig is closer to what I've used in the past when making without a jig. Maybe I just need to renumber mine to make it fit selfbows. Thanks for replying. This gives me a benchmark from which to work. Kind of a bummer because I made three at the same time. Fortunately, I haven't numbered two of them. Maybe I can have one for recurves and one for longbow style selfbows.

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 04:00:43 am »
I made the jig from poorfolkbows. it was really simple and fast and the brace height seems to be right about on target for my longbows.

I made that one.... which is the same as the image shown above and Mine tend to be long.  ???  It's in how much loop over and twist you put int he string.  But it works beautifuly.  Couldn't imagine making a string with out it.