Author Topic: looking for Bow Wood source near Ellington MO  (Read 1216 times)

Offline Sempertiger

looking for Bow Wood source near Ellington MO
« on: March 29, 2012, 06:34:38 pm »
I'm going to be near Ellington vistiting family in June, for a week, and figure I could burn a day cutting wood, to ship back to AK.

I'm planning on keeping an eye out on Craigslist and the local news paper. Other than that, anyone have any ideas?

Jamison
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new."
~Albert Einstein~

Offline Eric Krewson

Re: looking for Bow Wood source near Ellington MO
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2012, 11:28:59 am »
If you posted a " standing Osage timber wanted" ad on Craigslist I bet you would have more replies than you can handle. Out in MO you would have to call osage "hedge" in you ad or few would know what you were talking about.

I don't need any osage at the present but have thought about posting a similar ad in the local free classified paper. Lots of osage in my area, most people think of it is trash wood.

My ad would read" cash paid for straight, standing osage (bodock, hedge) trees". I suspect my phone would be ringing off the wall.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2012, 11:35:11 am by Eric Krewson »

Offline Patches

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 04:10:55 pm »
There is not alot of hedge in that part of MO.  I grew up not far from there, and only knew of 3 or 4 hedge trees total in that area.  I looked over two farms down there last weekend and found no hedge at all.  You may have better luck going about 2 hours west of Ellington.  Osage trees get alot more numberous in the western part of teh state.  I live up towards KC now and hegde is THICK oround here.  There are farms where it is the only tree and they consider it a nuisance  :)!  I have had luck just going up to people and offering to cut and haul it off.  Near Ellington you will have a better chance getting hickory (lotsa hickory), maple, elm, and some black locust.  Also all the eastern red cedar you would care to cut!  Swamp Monkey lives east of Ellington about an hour and a half.  He may be able to help you locate some sources of wood.  If I can think of any other places I will let you know.   
"You are never a complete failure as long as you can be used as a bad example..."

Offline Onebowonder

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 04:28:37 pm »
If you are determined to cut wood near your family there, you will likely want to look for Black Locust or Hickory.  There is some Osage there, but it is not so common.  If it is your objective to particularly find some Osage to cut, you'll need to take a little westward excursion.  I live in Springfield, MO which is about 3 hours west.  You'll be into ample Osage country by about Cabool or Houston, MO.  (2 hours)