Author Topic: Cutting Elm  (Read 2372 times)

Offline rileyconcrete

Cutting Elm
« on: April 01, 2012, 05:30:36 pm »
I have an elm tree in my yard that has to come down.  Not sure what kind it is, although I have heard most elms in our area are Dutch Elm.  Is this good for bow wood?  If I cut it should I split and debark it right away? (after I seal The ends of course)

Thanks for any info in advance.

Tell
Tell Riley

Offline JW_Halverson

Re: Cutting Elm
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2012, 05:44:23 pm »
I've come around 180 degrees in the last few years.  I really believe in debarking everything nowadays.  It saves a great deal of work and heartburn to debark and seal with a shellac or other finish. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline rileyconcrete

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2012, 06:11:26 pm »
Great! that is what I was kind of leaning towards.  Thanks.

Tell
Tell Riley

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2012, 08:56:27 pm »
"Dutch elm" is a (natural) hybrid between Ulmus glabra (Wych elm) and Ulmus minor (field elm), with the botanical name Ulmus x hollandica. In Europe, the first two species readily hybridize, creating fertile offspring. That means that locally U. glabra is very common...while somewhere else U. minor might be very common...or in a third area where both species exist, Ulmus x hollandica is the most prevalent. Confusing!
All three species have excellent wood with similar properties. All great bowwood. I prefer to split and de-bark elm as soon as possible. Insects really like the sapwood, and it dries easily with little drying checks. Seals the ends of course, but it's not necessary to seal the back as well, IMO.

The two words "Dutch elm" are more often used in the context of "Dutch elm disease". A devastating fungal disease affecting basically any species of Ulmus, named after the country where if was first discovered and described - not the country where the disease originates from.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline TRACY

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2012, 09:32:40 pm »
Tell, I have used red and American elm for bows and they both work perfectly fine. The interlocking grain makes it a bear to split, but worth it in the end. Good luck

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline Prarie Bowyer

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2012, 04:03:30 am »
I have carved Red Elm.  I would Love to find some now for making bows.  It's a pain to carve.

Offline rileyconcrete

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2012, 10:30:00 pm »
Yeah, I have also Carved the back of a red elm bow. (the wood was 1/4 sawn.)  It is great wood. I just have never heard of anyone using dutch elm before.  But I thinks darksoul cleared that up for me.  Will be cutting the tree this weekend.

Tell
Tell Riley

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2012, 10:51:44 pm »
I've come around 180 degrees in the last few years.  I really believe in debarking everything nowadays.  It saves a great deal of work and heartburn to debark and seal with a shellac or other finish.

I even debark osage, even though mentioning that I do on here has caused alot of ruckus in the past,  >:D. Although it is fact that the sapwood will check pretty quick if you don't seal it good and fast, I get around this by sealing the back instantly after I remove the bark. 99% of the time it is fine if I seal it right after removing the bark.
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2012, 11:28:41 pm »
Promise me that you will name one of the bows from this product "Tickle Me, Elm Bow", will ya huh?
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline TRACY

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2012, 11:42:17 pm »
Promise me that you will name one of the bows from this product "Tickle Me, Elm Bow", will ya huh?
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: if he doesn't JW, I will someday!

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline rileyconcrete

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2012, 01:40:59 am »
LOL JW.  Maybe I will make a kids bow and name it that.

Tell
Tell Riley