Author Topic: Saturday was a wild one  (Read 3020 times)

Offline JW_Halverson

Saturday was a wild one
« on: April 01, 2012, 06:34:22 pm »
It all started at 2:30 a.m. when I hear loud shouting and foul language out in the street in front of the house.  I immediately racked one into the chamber of the 12 guage, and 911'd the Mounties.  The brawl in the street apparently wore itself out and they drove off together. 

I ended up watching tv all nite since I couldn't get back to sleep, but at 7:00 a.m. the po-po are back at the neighbor's house.  Apparently she found a stash of what appeared to be stolen goods in a bush in her front yard.  Sigh.

Then about 10:00 a.m. I look out front and there are two cop cars parked on the block with no one in them.  I hear sirens in all directions and they go silent when they get close.  In all, about 10 black and whites roll in and disgorge highly excited badges with guns drawn.  Two ambulances roll to a stop up the street and remain running with their lights on.  Safety comes off on the Benelli and I add a few magnum turkey load shells to the shirt pocket.  I look out in the backyard and across the alley a house is now under seige. 

The seige lasts about an hour and at the end there is a bullhorn explaining their last chance to come out unarmed has passed and they are now sending in the dogs and "YOU WILL BE BITTEN."  Ten minutes go by and the lights go off on the ambulances. They slowly drive off.  I'll take that as a good sign.  One by one the black and whites drive off and things return to normal. 

Of course the wonderful Rapid City Journal daily newspaper has absolutely nothing in it's pages except wonderful hard hitting reporting on how both lanes of North Sheridan Lake Drive will be closed off for several weeks while repairs are being done.  Monumental waste of my $2.00! 

But I'm pulling the trigger.  I've been talking about picking up a 1911 .45 ACP, this tips the scales.  Mark at First Stop Guns, I'll be there tomorrow morning.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline SA

Re: Saturday was a wild one
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2012, 10:37:19 pm »
sounds like night around my neighborhood , there is a bar/club about 2 blocks from my house and people come wandering down the street drunk at all hours of the night, fights always break out over there, you never know what can happen. take care of you and yours, i  keep my 357 close by ;)
Shawn Acker

Offline seabass

« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2012, 11:48:31 pm »
jdub it also sounds like my town.i have 54 guns and can reach one where ever i happen to be at my house.i have a 44 super blackhawk on my headboard stoked with buffalo bore 340 grain solids.i also have a nine on my night stand just in case.never know what is going to play out,better be preparred.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 12:44:16 am »
Wow!  Glad the excitement didn't come to your house.  Makes me glad I live in the sticks. 
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2012, 09:31:16 am »
The only excitement I get is turkeys gobbling in the woods behind the house...
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline cracker

« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2012, 09:35:53 am »
I live in a small town just 450 registered  voters and withh a minimum 20 minute police response time you had better be prepared to handle it yourself. So far that has not happened. At my house someone is always home if an intruder gets by the dogs the phycho wife and what I'm gonna lay down he can have whatever he wants. Ron
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline iowabow

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2012, 10:21:11 am »
Had people spot lighting on Friday night at 11:45pm so my neighbor called 911.  I was told it was the DNR lol.  My neighbors were all upset about the possibility that there was a poacher in the neighborhood, You don't want to be caught taking game in a neighborhood full of deer hunters.
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline Kpete

« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2012, 12:47:55 pm »
JW,
glad you were not involved with the "festivities".  Remind me to call ahead before I knock on your door!

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2012, 03:32:20 pm »
Just to make things easier at the coroner's inquest, it is my intention that there will only be one side to the story being told....MINE.  I'm selfish that way.

Side note:  Anyone see the new Zombie Killer bullets on the market?  I wonder what super secret gub'ment research facility they did the testing on.  And if you check the Center For Disease Control's website they have an entire load of stuff devoted to surviving a zombie apocolypse.  Tell me the gub'ment ain't hiding stuff from us!   >:D

Another Side Note:  The subject came up and we were smoking cee-gars, fishin' for catfish late at nite, and consuming cans of liquid bread.  The question was posited. what would be the worst bullet to get hit with?  It was about 2 hours of opinions and unlike the rule about everyone having one, everyone had more than one.  Until someone piped up in the dark and said, "17 HMR in the butt."  End of discussion. 

Offline cracker

« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2012, 04:04:42 pm »
I think a .22 short between the ribs would be the worst. They bounce off ribs and vertebre and do much damage. Ron
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline H Rhodes

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2012, 06:48:29 am »
worst thing to get hit with...?!  Hell, i don't want to get hit at all.... not even in a pie throwing fight, but my vote goes to a shotgun loaded with bird shot at a range of about ten steps....  hamburger.
Howard
Gautier, Mississippi

Offline iowabow

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2012, 12:24:49 pm »
My question is why did you not pick up your bow?
(:::.) The ABO path is a new frontier to the past!

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2012, 06:34:31 pm »
You got me there....I actually had three broadheads on arrows there too.  But bows are silent.  In the dark, I want the perp to hear that tiny mechanical sound of the safety clicking to the "of" position.  Psychological warfare. 

Now if I was hunting someone, the bow's silence plays in my favor.  But then comes the rule, if I kill it I grill it.  The cops will understand me killing in self defence.  They may be less understanding of me taking some guy's hind quarters to the smoker. 

Offline Bevan R.

« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2012, 06:39:11 pm »
My question is why did you not pick up your bow?
You saw him shoot at your place. Question answered. >:D
Bowmakers are a little bent, but knappers are just plain flaky.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2012, 06:55:31 pm »
Solution:  Taurus PT 1911, .45 ACP, 500 rounds of Blazer hardballs for practicing, and 20 rounds of Zombie Max for decorating the walls with their brains. 

>:D

Oh, I do love me a 1911 platform.