Author Topic: Finally... Some good news!!  (Read 1729 times)

Offline hatcha

Finally... Some good news!!
« on: April 04, 2012, 06:37:15 pm »
So, as I mentioned in another thread; I was made redundant at the end of 2010.  Jobs in Ireland at the moment are about as common as snakes here (thanks St. Patrick!!) but I've kept looking, kept applying, kept getting nothing... 

So last month I go to sign on in my local welfare office and I see a sign on the wall for a FÁS course (FÁS is a government-run body that runs courses for people to get qualified for jobs and also for people that need re-training and boy, do I need that!!

The course is "industrial butchery skills" and is specifically centered around beef forequarters - removing the meat from the bones.  I had an interview last week and had pretty much resolved to not getting a place on the course but today, a letter arrived confirming that I got one and it starts on Tuesday (Monday being a bank holiday here) and runs for 20 weeks, full time.  Apparently there's a huge call for boning hall workers so there's pretty much a guarantee of a job at the end of the course!!  Fingers crossed on thet!.

I'm just glad to be doing something again but also that it's a trade I'm stepping into - not just a nine-to-five job again.  Nothing wrong with 9-5's but the options in the future from butchery are more to my liking.

Offline bubby

Re: Finally... Some good news!!
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2012, 06:49:47 pm »
hope this works out good for you, most of my family were butchers back in the day, Bub
failure is an option, everyone fails, it's how you handle it that matters.
The few the proud the 27🏹

Offline seabass

« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2012, 07:17:02 pm »
good luck to you buddy.i always wanted to be a butcher.i think it would be a great job.
Middletown,Ohio

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2012, 11:56:36 pm »
Glad to hear that, Hatch!  Remember to count your fingers before work each day and come home with the same number.  My father did that for 57 years and can count to 10 without taking off any shoes. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2012, 04:18:52 am »
Hatch that is super. I'm sure you are elated. Congrats!!

Cipriano
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline Scowler

« Reply #5 on: April 05, 2012, 09:49:46 am »
Congratulations and good luck! :)

Offline hatcha

« Reply #6 on: April 05, 2012, 05:27:53 pm »
Thanks guys.

JayDubya - I'll be sure to do just that, every day ;)

Offline bubby

« Reply #7 on: April 05, 2012, 06:37:06 pm »
Glad to hear that, Hatch!  Remember to count your fingers before work each day and come home with the same number.  My father did that for 57 years and can count to 10 without taking off any shoes.
the big injury at the slaughter house that i remember was getting gut stuck, Bub

Offline hatcha

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2012, 03:55:15 pm »
the big injury at the slaughter house that i remember was getting gut stuck, Bub

Is that when you're holding the knife in a "stabbing grip", are cutting meat and you basically pull the knife into yourself?  I've heard tales of thighs being sliced doing that too  :-\

Offline bubby

« Reply #9 on: April 06, 2012, 04:29:45 pm »
yeah Hatcha, that's it, Bub