Author Topic: Split in Bamboo Shaft  (Read 1781 times)

Offline cook1536

Split in Bamboo Shaft
« on: March 31, 2012, 12:30:28 am »
So I am new to bowmaking, just posted a pic of my first one now I am trying to learn arrow making. I have river cane drying in the basement however i went to Lowes and bought a bamboo garden stake to practice. I spent the evening straightening and sanding the nodes. I noticed cracks on 2 of the nodes. Are these fixable or is this shaft worthless?
Archery is seeing how far you can get from your target, Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get to your target.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Split in Bamboo Shaft
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2012, 01:10:16 am »
Put a drop of super glue and clamp it enough to close the crack. That is a drying crack that runs with the grain and shouldn't be a problem. If you are still concerned, break it or use it for a tomato stake.  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline cook1536

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2012, 01:27:44 am »
No concern at all, thanks for the info Pat B.
Archery is seeing how far you can get from your target, Bowhunting is seeing how close you can get to your target.

Offline Fred Arnold

• From up on Munson Creek
« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2012, 04:02:58 am »
Just a tip. Bamboo shavings are a really tough substance, almost like fiberglass. when you lay a bead of superglue down the cracked area, use a small sheet of 100 grit sandpaper and lightly sand the area immediately around the crack pushing the remnants into the crack. Makes a perfect weld.
I found many years ago that it is much easier and more rewarding working with those that don't know anything than those that know it all.