Author Topic: Which elm is best?  (Read 1168 times)

TurtleCreek

Which elm is best?
« on: March 31, 2012, 07:18:39 am »
  I have just gotten permission from a land owner to cut a few elm trees on his farm.  Of all the north american elm species, are there some that are better than others for self bows? 

Offline DarkSoul

• Orion Bows
Re: Which elm is best?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2012, 09:06:19 am »
I'd pick any elm species, but look for STRAIGHT logs that are managable. One species may be slightly better than the other, but if that better species always has twists and knots, it's still of little use. Select on straight grained staves first, with as little defects as possible. If there's an abundance of this type of trees, you could also select for a species. Red elm and wych elm are said to be supreme.
"Sonuit contento nervus ab arcu."
Ovid, Metamorphoses VI-286

Offline TRACY

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2012, 10:44:12 am »
TC, the two prominent species are American and Red or "slippery" elm. I've used both with good success and would choose red elm simply because it tends to have better/straighter form. Both are more difficult to split than Osage in my opinion because of the interlocking grain. Great bow wood! Good luck and have fun!

Tracy
It is what it is - make the most of it!    PN500956

Offline half eye

« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2012, 10:53:37 am »
My experience mirror's Tracy....I've used both American (Grey) and Red (Slippery) elm and both make outstanding bows. I would not turn down any of those 2 elms. If I had a choice I'd pick the slippery, makes a darker bow when oiled and greased.....but like I said I would not turn down either.
rich

Offline John K

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2012, 11:53:22 am »
Same as the last two posts, seems like "slippery" is easier to work.

Bothmake greats bow woods, have fun splitting it  :)
The only way to fail is to never start !

TurtleCreek

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2012, 03:15:47 pm »
Thanks for the info guys.  The farm is located in southern wisconsin and I am guessing that I will find mostly red elm.  Red elm is the only elm I have been able to locate in this part of the state, but I will have my tree field book along for the trip if I happen to stumble upon something I haven't seen before.  Does elm have a tendency to check badly while drying?

Offline John K

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2012, 03:48:02 pm »
cut it when the sap is up, next couple of weeks should be good, the way this Wisconsin weather is going, be sure to seal the ends and back good and you should'nt have a problem.
The only way to fail is to never start !